• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Flightsuit - a different approach

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Well, I've been trying to get Vinyet used to wearing a flightsuit and it has been going fairly poorly. She doesn't seem to be able to focus on anything other than the fact that something is on her. AND she knows now that chewing the back into shreds will get it off her, so she spends pretty much all her time chewing the velcro closure while in it.
As you can imagine this is a problem.

In an effort to keep her distracted I taught her how to target so she has something to focus on.
Here we are with the first target training session while in a flightsuit.

As you can see, she does turn around to look at the closure and even pulls it a bit, but she is barely chewing and compared to how she usually is this is pretty amazing for us.

After shooting a few videos (this was the best one) we started moving around more. All over the top of the cage and the door. After we stopped training she continued to walk around and mouth the closure of the suit in a much less neurotic way than before.

QBird

Jogging around the block
Nice work :)
She's certainly something very stunning and very different in a parrot, nice to see who well you are doing with her as it is not too long since she arrived (from my useless memory anyway)

Target training is a great distraction and as the Arabs say (although probably not entirely correct here) "Shway Shway" slowly slowly/small small :) It's a great rule I should have learnt a few years back in life and with parrots hehe

Thank you for sharing I'm sure the more you work with her the less neurotic she will be againa nd again as you stated she is working better again after the video was shot too :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Take her outside and walk around with her, she wont be chewing on the harness.

I dont recommend using harnesses indoors. You cant expect any parrot to not chew up a harness when its indoors.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
Take her outside and walk around with her, she wont be chewing on the harness.
I dont recommend using harnesses indoors. You cant expect any parrot to not chew up a harness when its indoors.
I've tried taking her outside in it as well, but don't really like to as (for me) it's less of a harness and more of a diaper. The first few times outside were magical and distracted her but now she has seen enough of our large yard and she chews it anyway.

I also worry it's too cold out there for her to be for long periods of time? How cold is too cold? How long is too long a period of time? Anyone?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Mine get used as diapers for car travel and etc as well more than anything, except occasionally for summer events. Best of luck!

Also, maybe try using bitter apple spray on the suit to discourage chewing? Not sure if it will work but it is one of the site's recommendations and is a product easy to find.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
they like bitter apple.

A harness might work better and potty train her while in the harness. Out of harness...free time. I would take the birds out with me. I had them potty before getting in the care. I had them potty once we got somewhere. I got good at watching behavior and could tell when they were ready and I had paper towel ready for the moment and then kept it in a baggie.

Just another way to teach things.

The target training is going great.