• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flighted small bird terrorizing big bird

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Hi friends. I got my Forsten Lorikeet at 9 months of age from the pet store I work at & he came clipped with know knowledge of how to fly. I made my own choice to let his wings grow and teach him to fly and he has come such a long way in such a small amount of time! He's really getting the hang of it. I have had him for nearly 6 months now.

Problem is with him and my Mexi red headed Amazon, Pi. My amazon came home flighted and flies a few circles during the day for exercise I suppose and to me when I'm not close enough to him (though he likes to hang out at his stand and not directly with me.. just same room).

As of today, and all day today specifically, he has learned that Pi is scared of him and he's been having the time of his life flying to Pi to scare my poor boy. Pi then proceeds to fly around the room and usually into something like on the desk full of items, or on the window blinds in fear of my tiny warrior.

Lorikeet is in a time out because everytime I bring him here he wants to swoop at Pi.

I really, really don't want to clip him but I even more so don't want anyone to get hurt whether it be because Pi is sick of birds crap or Pi flies into something a bit hard, or hell even my dog getting caught up in the moment and deciding to try and "help" the situation and in turn trampling my Lorikeet.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Why is your dog in the same room as the birds?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
A lot of us have separate out of cage times because certain birds don’t get along. My finches, parrotlets, canaries, and tiels did fine - and my pionus was okay if they stayed off his perch. But now i have caiques and they are trouble makers. So now everybirdie else has to be caged so they can go in the bird room and play on the toys.

It is difficult because it splits up their time, but it’s necessary for their safety.

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I let my lovebirds out at a different time than Freddy. They are very territorial (the lovebirds) and it would be so ugly someone would get hurt or killed! They do stay away from each other's cages though, it's like they respect each other's space.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Separate out times :)

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Thank you all for responses. I don't have enough time for separate out of cage time I don't think (though if truly needed I could make it work I am sure).
But alas, he has appeared to stop swooping it seems so maybe all is well. Maybe it was a 2 day streak lol.

Kenzie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
And as for dog, I trust him and he listens exceptionally wells. Shows no interest in birds, and when my curious Lorikeet does come to him, he ignores the bird- which causes my Lorikeet to lose as much interest in him which works in everyones favor.
My lorikeet is always out while I'm home so that would not be fair for me to lock him up somewhere.