• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight or No Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Sparky was disabled and being flighted really helped her get around. Besides the obvious benefit, she would spread her wings to balance when she climbed. Although her preferred method of travel was to be carried everywhere. :lol:Junior recently lost a lot of mobility in her legs. But she can fly better than she can walk.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Flight 100%.

Ask Bunni to get you an XL aviator for her and to get her adjusted to it. :)

And btw, CONGRATS on her, I know from over a year ago you really loved her and pined for her when she was sold. So BIG congrats on getting your baby girl!

This happened to me as well when my baby boy Opa was sold to his first home. I and the shop keeper raised Opa from 12days and on, and when he left at 5 months it was so heart breaking for us both. Then I found him on CL 3 months later and it was meant to be. He's been with me since (almost 5).

:heart:

Last edited:

Bunnygirl

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Flight 100%.

Ask Bunni to get you an XL aviator for her and to get her adjusted to it. :)

And btw, CONGRATS on her, I know from over a year ago you really loved her and pined for her when she was sold. So BIG congrats on getting your baby girl!

This happened to me as well when my baby boy Opa was sold to his first home. I and the shop keeper raised Opa from 12days and on, and when he left at 5 months it was so heart breaking for us both. Then I found him on CL 3 months later and it was meant to be. He's been with me since (almost 5).

:heart:

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm fully planning on harness training her so I can take her out and about with me. I know that she's fine with being touched all over, we'll just need to get her used to having the extra weight.

It certainly has been a very interesting year. Long story short, though, even if I don't get her now, once they finally do decide to sell her, I'll be the first they tell (and they said that they will, eventually, sell her. Her first potential home fell through). I'm hoping that on one of my trips over there this week, they'll have an answer of either "yes, we're ready to sell her now", or "no, we want to wait a little longer" so I know whether or not to get thigns for her at the SWS (I'm hoping for the first but preparing myself for the second). Thanks again. I'm glad things seem to be working out (and quite relieved, too).

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I did not read all the replies{a little busy, just popped in for a few min} ,but just wanted to say that Yuna has only one foot and flies like any other bird!!:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Do you know why they wont adopt her out now? A home life is much better and would be easier on her. She would be so happy in a home:)

Bunnygirl

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Do you know why they wont adopt her out now? A home life is much better and would be easier on her. She would be so happy in a home:)
The store is small and family run and they're very attatched to her (they remind her of one of their other macaws when he was younger). And I can't blame them, she's a sweetie and when there's a lot of things going on, she tries her hardest to get to one of their family members. They raised her from a very small chick so sh's like a family member to them.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I feed a lot of birds in our yard and have several that are missing a foot or cannot use their feet for some reason. I think as long as a bird is used to flying and being able to use its wings for balance and such that the bird will do okay. I admire someone like you who is willing to seek out such a bird and adopt. I think you should go for it.:heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I just want to give you kudos for taking in this bird. I'll guarantee you he doesn't have a clue that he is "handicapped".

Status
Not open for further replies.