• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight Harness and Bird Backpack

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
My IRN's are in need of some outside time!

I'm fairly convinced that the "Aviator" flight harness is the way to go, and think I'll be ordering that one for my Habibi (let me know if you think otherwise). But my girl; there's no way I can get a harness on her. Maybe in a few years. Right now I'm just happy that she has grown accustomed enough to my hands that she will just apply light pressure to them with her beak, or push them away, when I move my hands around her, instead of ripping into them which was her initial reaction. I've only had her for a year, and she was found outside, so I'm happy to be patient with her. At any rate! I hate the idea of leaving her (Popsicle) at home while we take Habibi out to fly. So I thought, what about a backpack? I don't want to use the dreaded vet-carrier. She's too well associated with that, and the trip from hell that transported her back to Canada with us.

The one I have my eye on is: Amazon.com : SHANTU Pet Parrot Carrier Bird Parrot Travel Bag Pet Amazon African Grey Cockatoos Transport Backpack 360°Sightseeing Airline with Stand Perch Tray and Cups for Travel Outdoor Activity (Green) : Pet Supplies

But I wondered if you folks have any advice for me. I don't plan on going on any grand adventures with her, I'd just like to be able to take her for a walk around the block. And with enough time and patience, I think I could coax her into this. Or at least get her in assertively the first time, so that she can see how awesome it is and then be more willing the next time. Again, advice on that would be great.

Sorry for the rant, would appreciate any info!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think she'll get good sunlight in that as the shell that makes it hard will block uv like a window.

I bought this one for car trips & it's a waste of time except for a winter nighty night nest.

Amazon.com : CaitecPerch & Go Polycarbonate Bird Carrier, Clear View Travel Cage : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies

Most recommend the celltei backpacks especially if you have a chewer. The screens are stainless steel. There are a bunch. It appears due to some of amazon.coms crummy business practices, (just a guess) they only have one listed & its not priced.

Here's there website. I believe you may be able to order by phone if you need to also.

Celltei Pak-o-Bird - the high quality light-weight carrier for your birds and parrots

they also make an umbrella style stroller. Maybe @saroj12 can post a pic of hers.

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
well, i am also looking for a carrier but it's just for the vet sunlight don't really concern me since i have an outside cage for my birds to get the UV they need so i though the first choice was nice because it gives the bird a nice view .... am i the only one that thinks that ??
also im thinking about teaching all my birds to wear a harness so if i succed the carrier would litterally only be used for the car ride ...

TwoGreenFids : what about something made of another material ? (trying to think of an alternative since the carrier you like is apparently not very popular lol)

what about something made out of soft material ?

Sac de transport pour oiseaux Free-Fly en nylon - À prix avantageux chez zooplus

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
Thanks everyone! I'm looking up these new backpack options now :loveshower: Really appreciate it.

Any word on the harness and tether? My husband is terrified that Habibi will somehow escape. Neither birds are chewers, so I don't think it's likely that he'll find a way out of the harness. Anything you can offer to sooth our anxiety?

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
I use an aviator harness for one of my tiels.
As long as you make sure it's on properly and has no signs of wear and tear your bird should be safe! Always check and test indoors. If it gets roughed up (bit, nails got caught and pulled out threads, etc) I would buy a new one to be safe..

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
Thank you everyone!!!!

Ived ordered the aviator harness, and decided to make my own bird backpack. We'll test it out next week after they've had a chance to get used to it being around the house. For now I've got it covered in treats so hopefully they'll get a positive association with the pack and will let me put them inside next weekend.

Wish me luck!

Attachments

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have been looking at the Celltei Birdie GoGo

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you everyone!!!!

Ived ordered the aviator harness, and decided to make my own bird backpack. We'll test it out next week after they've had a chance to get used to it being around the house. For now I've got it covered in treats so hopefully they'll get a positive association with the pack and will let me put them inside next weekend.

Wish me luck!

It is a nice idea to get creative and to make your own toys. I am very skeptical about the bead of hot glue for holding in the netting on your bird bag. Structurally it will not be enough to keep an IRN in. I would invest in some tough thread or leather thread and stitch it in. You can leave the glue there.. since it is there now, but add some quality stitching. You can do it by hand :)

What material is the netting? It needs to hold up to some chewing.

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
Hey there! Don't worry, I sewed the whole thing in place The glue just made me feel a bit better I can't say for sure what the mesh is. Some kind of polyblend fabric which I anticipate having to replace. I figured this was a good concept test and if it went well then I'd create an updated version. Strangely enough, he hasn't tried chewing it. My guys never really try to chew out of things, but you never know . And I'm pleased to say that we are slowly targeting our female into the bag, and making progress!

But today I wanted to share that we tested out the bag with Habibi, our male, and it went so well!!!! He never screamed ONCE and after a little while even his nervous sounds stopped. He started sitting on the perch and looking out, instead of holding onto the wooden scaffolding at the side (as he is doing in the pic at the beginning of our walk). Totally blew me away. We've done walks in his vet carrier and those didn't last 15 min before he was yelling at me. Though he was angry when I first put him in, when we got home, there were no hard feelings and he was happy to get some cuddles. Made sure he got plenty. I'm so proud of him and excited to see how this pack will let our little family spend even more time together <3

Attachments

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
Hey again friends!

So far no chewing, but I mean, they're IRN's so if they start that bag is toast hahahaha. Habibi and I have completed two successful trips together, and I dare say he made some happy noises on our second one! And still no screaming, which is in stark contrast with both his old bird cage and the vet carrier. Only complaint I got was while standing too long in one place when waiting for the bus.

So here's my dilemma. The bag isn't for Habibi! Yes I was to get him more familiar with the outside world before trying a harness on him, but the bag is for Popsicle! She is happy to go into the bag to get treats when I'm not looking, and will stretch her head it to touch a target when I offer a treat, but I swear she is telepathic and knows the instant I want to try taking her out!!! She flaps around and starts yelling at me, before I've even tried to pick her up! We've worked very hard together to get a bond going. We've been together for around 18 months now, and I'm so proud of how she's grown. She was terrified of my hands when I first found her, and I am now able to get her to step onto and off of my hand, and to touch my fingers with her beak on command for a treat, she'll give kisses, and she is becoming increasingly affectionate. She'll come and hang out on my computer and watch me work, or rest on my knee for long periods of time. She'll come by and sit on my shoulder even when she's already had her treat, and she recently began preening me (I am such a sucker for it). I so desperately want to take her outside! But she won't go into any kind of carrier without me having to catch her with a towel. I want to give her more freedom.

How can I take her outside without damaging her trust?

Do I catch her and pop her in to SHOW her that it's not a bad thing? Unlike Habibi she has always seemed to enjoy our trips to the vet. She puffs up her head and bobs up and down and makes happy sounds. But it is sssooo stressful for both of us to get her into any type of carrier. Even though she always seems to forgive me afterwards.

Or do I continue slowly slowly getting her to reach her head into the bag for treats, hoping that in another year she might go in and I can zip it up? I honestly don't know.

Would love some advice.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you place this item near their active areas? I ask this as she may just fear it. Place it near the cage, stand or playground & give her the ability to look down on it for a bit, w/out any interference from you. It could take an afternoon or a week. Parrots are funny like that. :fairy: