• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight feathers issue

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
I have a cag named Scarlet. My girlfriend and I got her from a local reputable breeder. Prior to taking her home after she was fully weaned and fledged, we had the breeder clip her primary flight feathers so that she couldn't fly through the house but could fly to safety if she ended up on the floor (we have dogs and a cat). She accidentally clipped one or two too many flight feathers. Then Scarlet could not fly to safety if she ended up on the floor. She will be 1 on November 1st and the feathers do not seem to have grown as they should as she still plummets to the ground and cannot fly to safety. Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to help?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It can take 6 - 18 months in my experience for a bird to regrown enough flight feathers to fly once they have been clipped. All depends on the timing of the clip. My quaker, Jingo, was clipped at 3 months and then didn't fly until he was almost 18 months old.

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
It can take 6 - 18 months in my experience for a bird to regrown enough flight feathers to fly once they have been clipped. All depends on the timing of the clip. My quaker, Jingo, was clipped at 3 months and then didn't fly until he was almost 18 months old.
Wow, I didn't realize that it could take that long. I'm not so worried now. Thank you!

Amanda6

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amanda
So I have come to realize that either when I'm not home or not in the room with her, she is chewing up her feathers on her flight feathers. They look jagged and thinned out like she's been picking at them a lot. What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If she was given a severe clip, it's likely that when the new feathers are growing in, they don't have enough support to keep them healthy. They are probably getting bumped and causing discomfort, which makes her mess with them.

I honestly don't know what to do in that situation.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
Have a avian get pull the feather like an ingrown hair and the feathers grow back a lot faster. They are blocked with the old shaft of the feather that was cut.

BatmansWife

Meeting neighbors
Our CAG had a similar issue. They clipped his wings before we brought him home and he would plummet to the ground. We weren’t too happy but then we saw the ends of his feathers chewed. The Vet suggested that they can get uncomfortable and poke him so he was chewing the edges. We let his flight feathers grow out fully which did take quite a bit of time (closer to the 18 month mark for all of them to come in) and he’s fine now. He is starting to get some height when he falls now but I’m not sure if I want to get him clipped again.