• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight Feather Clipping

joshuas.0718

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Joshua Saarela
Hi, I am new to birds, and am interested in the Meyer's Parrot. However, I am very confused on the whole feather clipping in general. I have looked it up everywhere and I do not understand what the point of it is. Is it true that after they are clipped the bird is "flightless", but then regrows them? Is it true that you should clip them when they are young because it is easier to train them, and then let their feathers grow out?

Thanks!

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
When clipped they are considerd flightless but they can fly if the clipping is badly done or its windy.
They grow back after a while..How Long i dont know cuz i never clipped any of My Birds
Some ppl say its easier...But Thats like forcing them to like ya...I find it better to earn their trust the right way even if it takes a bit longer.
Oh and a flighted parrot is a Happy parrot...Thats My view on it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have looked it up everywhere and I do not understand what the point of it is.
Well that's good because the "ONLY" point of clipping a bird's wings is for human convenience and laziness. It has NOTHING to do with what is good or needed to for the bird. You can't learn to ride a bike (well) if someone insists on flattening the tires (clip).

If people can't provide a conducive environment to let birds fly safely (bird room/aviary) they really shouldn't be getting a bird.

All anyone has to ask themselves "honestly" is why do you want a bird if you don't want it to fly? Seems like a lot of self indulgence or ego or something.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
When befriending someone, have you ever considered tying up their legs to speed up the process?

;)
You know thats not a bad idea, I need some friends :D

Joshuas, the feathers do grow back, but your bird can be trained just the same without clipping. Lucy (my yellow naped amazon) had a horrible clip
from the breeder and it took over a year for her feathers to grow out. Shes just as happy and trainable now that she can fly as she was when she really couldnt.
But now we dont worry about her crashing into the floor and hurting herself because she can use her wings.
As was said, flying also helps keeps your bird healthy.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
No on clipping, birds have Wingies, Wingies are for flying,,makes for a mentally healthy bird...yes, there is a possibility that they can get out and fly away, but, you need to be responsible for them and not let that happen,,, even though it does ...I wish I had wings..

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Well that's good because the "ONLY" point of clipping a bird's wings is for human convenience and laziness. It has NOTHING to do with what is good or needed to for the bird. You can't learn to ride a bike (well) if someone insists on flattening the tires (clip).

If people can't provide a conducive environment to let birds fly safely (bird room/aviary) they really shouldn't be getting a bird.

All anyone has to ask themselves "honestly" is why do you want a bird if you don't want it to fly? Seems like a lot of self indulgence or ego or something.
I have to say I agree with this. I've had George 9 years and have never clipped his flight feathers. It's really not fair. Birds can fly. Humans can walk. Would you like it if somebody tied your feet together so you couldn't get away while they were trying to befriend you? It's just not fair.
Having said that you need to be extra careful with a flighted bird. Is your door open? Is your window open? Your bird may get out with the intention of just going for a little spin for some exercise and then not be able to find his way home. This happens.

When I was a kid my mom had a budgie that I was great friends with. His name was Pepe. One day the door was open and we thought his cage was locked but it wasn't. He got out and flew away and never found his way back home. I don't know what happened to poor little Pepe. Very tragic. :*(

It's not just a matter of wanting to escape. Just like a dog that loves his family but wants to explore the neighborhood a lone, a bird will have the same feelings. Unlike a dog though, the parrot will probably never find his way home.