• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight cage is so big, and Ada is so very small

JustRaina

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I have about a month (July 24th if she's finished weaning, squeee) until I bring home Ada (GCC), but the cage / books / toys are all in various stages of already being ordered.

My concern is that the flight cage where she's going to live is SO big, and she is just such a lil bit. She is newly clipped (they had them flighted until recently) and I hate the thought of her fluttering around in there and falling. Am I being ridiculous (not out of the question) to wonder if there needs to be maybe some sort of transition cage closer to the (large,normal? cockatiel type) cage that she's in at the bird store?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
It can never be too big. Green cheeks are ridiculously active and need a big cage. Flight cage is the smallest I would go.

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
The breeder that I got my caique from lent me a small cage that I could use until she'd gotten less clumsy and ready for her big cage. The breeder also recommended placing the perches and feed dish low in her big cage, at least in the beginning. If you have a travel cage already, I don't see the harm in transitioning her to that cage temporarily until she's ready for an adult-sized cage.

JustRaina

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
In Sweden that cage is not legal to a GCC so we consider that cage, small..
I more meant in relation to her current size/fluttery state. Not that I thought the cage was too big in general.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would not take the advice of a breeder that cuts off a baby's flight feathers. Did she have a chance to fledge first? That is what my bird's breeder did. I put the babies in a big flight cage with perches low to medium and a towel under the newspaper to make for a soft landing. It worked!

JustRaina

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I would not take the advice of a breeder that cuts off a baby's flight feathers. Did she have a chance to fledge first? That is what my bird's breeder did. I put the babies in a big flight cage with perches low to medium and a towel under the newspaper to make for a soft landing. It worked!
She was clipped when I visited yesterday, but had been flighted up until that. The day we met them (a little over a week ago) all 9 came out and flew around when we opened up the cage. :)

I'll just start the perches and toys off in the lower half of the cage with something soft for landing. :) Thanks!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think a flight cage will be perfect for her, baby or not. Perfect. In the wild they have the whole giant world. A flight cage is not too big.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think the flight cage will be just fine. Use low perches and pad the bottom with towels if needed, until you're confident of her climbing skills

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You can use the big cage with some extra perches and ladders to help her get around, or you can get a smaller cage to use for the first few weeks.
If you get a smaller cage, I'd suggest something big enough for her to be comfortable, but small enough that you can carry, so it can double as a travel or sleep cage later on - maybe around 18x18". But it sounds like you aren't bringing her home until a few weeks after she is weaned, so she shouldn't be too clumsy in a big cage.

JustRaina

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
It can never be too big. Green cheeks are ridiculously active and need a big cage. Flight cage is the smallest I would go.
Not at all concerned that it is too big in general. :) I never planned on getting less than a flight for her, just concerned that she's going from a smaller cage with siblings to a big empty cage all alone.

Seemed a bit like moving away from the room you share with your two sisters into a warehouse, alone.

I think I just worry too much. :D

Rolanda

I was a worry wort too when I got my lovie, Mo. I used my travel cage in my room in the beginning, and then moved him to the big cage. I also didn't put my Human babies in their own room until they were 3. :lol::heart:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I think you are right. Can she flutter okay? I would recommend a smaller cage which you can use as an outside cage until you are certain she is moving around well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've had clipped birds in flight cages many times. They aren't really doing a lot of flying in that space, especially after you add toys etc. They mostly climb.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Grumbles was clipped when I got him, but still used every inch of his cage. :) Green cheeks are super active and usually can still fly with a clip.

ETA: what cage did you get? :)

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
We tried to strategically place perches so our guy could easily get to things. The flexible rope perches really help with that. He did fall a couple times but after a few days he had his own little parrot super highway :) It will be fun decorating that flight cage! I think it's a really great size for a GCC.

Funny story. We told our birdy border we had a flight cage and she told us to bring it. We thought she was being a bit nuts, but we drug that huge thing out to the car (it barely fit!). When she saw it her eyes got really big, her idea of a flight cage was 24 x 16 x 16 so she wasn't expecting this big ol' cage! It all worked out in the end, but I hope to never haul that cage in and out of my car 3 times in one day.

Last edited:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My maroon belly has been clipped most of her life. She has spent the last 16 yeas in either a flight cage or a much large custom cage. She has been quite happy in these cages and uses every inch of the space. Even more active is my little male green cheek, who is in a larger flight cage. He is all over that cage. In fact i am upgrading him to a 4 ft. X 2.5 foot cage. Even if their wings are clipped, dont forget that these animals evolved to live free and cageless in the wild.

As schnitzle suggested, make sure things are in easy reach of perches to make it easier for her to reach things.

@Eloy I wish the US wold adopt your country's laws!

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
If you are worried about baby clumsiness, you could lower the perches and even line the bottom of the cage with a fleece blanket with paper on top (for poops) until you feel your new friend is able to move around well?

I don't really see a need for a smaller cage, there are things you can do with the flight cage to make it safer as your baby gets better at climbing around, if she isn't already. And that way there will be less of a transition as well, only moving cages once as opposed to twice in a period of your new bird's life that is already going to have a lot of upheaval.

JustRaina

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Grumbles was clipped when I got him, but still used every inch of his cage. :) Green cheeks are super active and usually can still fly with a clip.

ETA: what cage did you get? :)
The "MCage" flight cage off amazon.

It seemed more solid than some of the other flight cages at the price point.

I like that it has both the huge door for ease of access/toy hanging, but also several smaller sliding doors for various food/water/treat spots that can be reached without letting her out unintentionally.