• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight and Adrenaline rushes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm wondering if flighted parrots receive an adrenaline rush when flying and whether this somehow makes them feel more "aggressive".

I have the feeling this may be the case with my Emma. She's not aggressive with me but I get the impression that she thinks she's invincible. She has become a VERY good flyer in a very short time. Very often she will "hover" in the air over my pionus parrot and even chase her "relentlessly" which also makes for a dangerous situation so I am constantly on ALERT to break it up before someone gets hurt.:omg:

A light Clipping is not something I wish to do, :(but I will not hesitate if I feel that it's necessary.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No one on here has an opinion about this topic?

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have found that being flighted has given some of my birds, name Zuri and Joey, an extra confidence boost. Wouldn't call it "aggression", but they are definitively more confident in their abilities and in Zuri's case, it is sometime translated as being able to chase the others if she wishes to do so...

drop

Rollerblading along the road
I guess it is possible that it gives them a rush, sort of like what we may experience when we excersize. But as far as this "rush" being the reason that she is hounding Sachi, I don't know.

Though, an increase in confidence usually accompanies the ability to fly, maybe it is this increase in confidance that has something to do with the way she is behaving? Sort of like what was being discussed in the height dominance thread. I have heard many times of parrots getting a little "unruly" once they learn to fly with ease. I think it may have alot to do with the new found confidence that they develop. I don't know how to say it, but it seems to be like a little ego-boost, but it can be worked with and I think the bird just needs to get used to this new way of being and have a good outlet and he'll learn to settle down. I am not really good at putting my thoughts into words, sorry.

Maybe you could try and channel her energy into something else. Are there certain times when she gets more bratty? Is there any way to tell when his time may be comming and have her energy focused on something else before she starts hounding Sachi? I am sorry if I am not making sense, I am just thinking of my flying pest and I pretty much know when his annoying (crazy active) time is comming and try to find him stuff to do before he starts getting, well, annoying. LOL.

Have you started recall training with her yet? A good round of recall usually mellows Cody out a bit when he is being a brat. Also, what are you doing when Emma goes after Sachi? Could you possibly be (inadvertantly) reinforcing her in any way?

I hope someone can come along with some pointers for you to help manage your situation, I have no experience with birds going after each other (at least not yet, I wonder if Ash will stir things up when he starts flying).

Last edited:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I wouldn't say that flight causes an adrenaline rush or aggression, but it does increase confidence and allow the bird to act out their impulses more easily. If these impulses include doing things we don't want them to, or not doing things we do want them to, it can be difficult. It's not unusual for newly flighted birds to be a handful for a few months as they learn the new boundaries of their abilities.

I know that flapping makes Jasper excited, and excitement in some birds can lead to overstimulation and biting or other behavior I'm not a big fan of, but as flying becomes more routine and less novel and exciting it will wear off. In the meantime, training (to fly to their own cage/playstand/area, lots of supervision, and even separation with nets, curtains or webbing can help.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I agree. Flight gives confidence and choice. A newly licensed teenager with a car is kind of like that.

Read somewhere. "You have a flighted, confident parrot who is in charge of his own life and doing a poor job of it"

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree. Flight gives confidence and choice. A newly licensed teenager with a car is kind of like that.

Read somewhere. "You have a flighted, confident parrot who is in charge of his own life and doing a poor job of it"
Thanks John.:) YOu present a very good analogy.
When she hovers over my smaller parrot she does seem very "predatorial" even though she probably doesn't mean any harm. I've noticed that when Emma flies she flies high in the air. My pionus parrot often flies very low to the ground to dodge and get away from her. Sometimes it's like "hot pursuit" and I think Emma does this because "it's fun and games for her".:(

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sharpie, Shade and Drop.. Thanks for your responses.:)

I think "unruly" is a good description to describe her behaviour as well. I agree that she's discovered a whole new world and until the "novelty" of flying wears away.. she'll continue to carry on like this. Fortunately it isn't ALL of the time but it does happen a few times on a daily basis. I will continue to keep a sharp eye on the both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.