• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Flew down stairs and some bleeding

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Hello all- Peaches flew down the stairs just a little bit ago when I was going to cut their vegetables (he was on my shoulder like usual but unlike usual decided to fly before we reached the bottom)

I put some nexcare liquid bandage on the spot because I saw a thread a while back about how liquid bandage was good for bird wounds. But now I’m not sure that was a good idea and he keeps looking at the area and he’s acting a little differently. He usually keeps eating until he absolutely can’t fit anymore and then drinks some water. Right now he took a few bites, got some water and chewed on a paper streamer. He picks at the spot but once I try to get a clear picture of it he sort of hides it

He’s just gone back down to eat some more but the spot still looks like fresh blood (maybe because of the liquid bandage) should I add quick stop? I heard this could be poisonous though :/

0899B74B-FEC7-4F2A-88B4-D44267EF456C.jpeg
5E2170B5-5387-4D71-9AFE-F9122F16315A.png

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Where is the wound?

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Where is the wound?
It’s on the skin of his wing. It’s actually been a repeat wound. It will look fully healed but then he next day he will fly within or out of the cage somewhere and it’s how he lands I think? But it reopens. But today seems like more blood than usual

I’ll try to get a better photo

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
8E29910F-35DE-4C84-B020-FC94BCF3F9D0.jpeg
He really isn’t wanting to let me open his wing so it’s hard to get a good photo of it. It actually looks better than a bit ago so maybe the urgent tag should be removed (I just don’t know how)

Should I apply something else to the spot for now?

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Don't put quick stop on it. Quick stop is meant for nails and not actual flesh. Is it bleeding a lot? I would clean it with a cotton ball and some water and then leave it be if it's not bleeding a whole lot.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If you are gonna put anything on it, let it be all purpose, unbleached white flour. Put it on and apply pressure, it should stop the bleeding. Never use Quick Stop on flesh wounds, as it burns badly and can hurt the bird. Please take him to the vet as soon as you can.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
From now on never use that stuff. This is a old fashioned boo boo fixer. White flour or cornstarch. A good pinch of it directly on the wound, hold it tightly for at least 30 seconds. Check if needed repeat.
Whatever makes that nexcare stuff waterproof could be poisonous to your bird

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have Silvadene? I don't remember if you treated with that before. If so, you can use it now. You can also give him some Metacam if you have any.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
View attachment 299078
Do you have Silvadene? I don't remember if you treated with that before. If so, you can use it now. You can also give him some Metacam if you have any.
Is this what you mean? I have this. Sorry for being slow with the replies btw. I called the cinema veterinary center. The woman on the phone told me it’s not recommended to let peaches leave the house right now because there’s a quarantine in la county (virus going around poultry she said? I didn’t know that was a thing)

She recommended I don’t have him be too active right now and make sure he’s not picking it. She didn’t seem to think it was an emergency but I asked her to hold the next available appointment for me, so next Tuesday at 9:30 AM. But she said she’d see if Dr Wheelbarger could call me and help without Peaches having to leave the house right now.

It stopped bleeding but I cleaned it with some water to remove the liquid bandage and I put some of the Manuka honey on the spot. I’ll keep their cage doors closed for a while to discourage him from flying.

EDIT: deleted image because i was showing everyone my address- whoops!

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

Yes. Newcastle’s is going around. The birds have to be put down if the my catch it. It’s very sad business :sour:

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Yes. Newcastle’s is going around. The birds have to be put down if the my catch it. It’s very sad business :sour:
Oh gosh that’s scary... I want him seen in person eventually because I feel like this healing and reopening of the wound isn’t normal? It will seem completely healed- it will look like skin on the area. But then if he lands on the ground it will reopen. His skin seems too delicate? I don’t know. :/

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did he break a blood feather? Can you tell if there is part of a feather shaft where he is bleeding. That's about where Kuiper has broken blood feathers a few times and it's hard to get to those. I do use Kwik Stop or cornstarch to stop bleeding. Make sure you apply pressure to the area for a bit. Have him stay in the cage instead of letting him fly around right now. Sometimes it can take a few tries to get the bleeding to stop. Hope all will be well.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Did he break a blood feather? Can you tell if there is part of a feather shaft where he is bleeding. That's about where Kuiper has broken blood feathers a few times and it's hard to get to those. I do use Kwik Stop or cornstarch to stop bleeding. Make sure you apply pressure to the area for a bit. Have him stay in the cage instead of letting him fly around right now. Sometimes it can take a few tries to get the bleeding to stop. Hope all will be well.
No broken blood feather. I don’t know if you can tell but it’s a bare patch of skin without feathers (he was getting very aggravated by me trying to put him in a position to photograph the area so I got it as best I could and stopped).

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, that's the cream I mean. That or the honey is fine and should also help with the bleeding. :)

Kodigirl210

I would try the manuka honey first since silvedane is actually for debriding and the skin isn’t unhealthy just torn. If the manuka doesn’t work then go to the silvedane as @enigma731 says.

And yes the skin is delicate on the wings but also stretched tight so the more movement, the less it has time to heal. I would try to keep him from flying at all if possible to give the wing a chance to heal.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Hey just wanted to give you guys a bit of a update- Peaches is doing pretty well! As per the receptionist’s advice I am keeping their cage doors closed and preventing them from coming out/being too physically active as much as possible. At first I tried a bit of the cream on the area but he was picking ferociously when I did that (and could not climb when I had him in a soft collar) so I decided to just leave it alone and monitor it.

For the first couple of days he would kinda make a short screech when he stretched- I think it was painful because the skin was sore. But now it’s scabbed over nicely (kind of hard to get a picture of it but it’s looks dry- the surrounding skin is light in color). I cancelled the appointment that was held for me since it no longer seemed necessary (as opposed to the risk of the virus they mentioned)

Back to his old self, if not a little more rowdy because they’re being kept in! Much more vocal than usual- wolf whistling and such. Tearing up his paper, scraping his beak and chewing on wood things!

Thanks again for all your advices.
8E6A6F33-9F4A-4A94-BBFB-1F2F92ADEAE1.jpeg 8B70FD03-90CD-47C7-917D-000F4DF4ECDA.jpeg