• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fleece/ fabric cage liners?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I’m pretty sure I’ve found every bird Etsy shop so last night I started looking at small animal shops since most of their stuff is also bird safe. A lot of these shops carry fleece cage liners and I was thinking of getting them to try with the birds. I just got some pet safe fake grass since I have parakeets and bourkes who are ground foragers. So now I’m thinking of ways to make the bottom of the cage more comfortable for them instead of walking on the grates. I know some people use paper but my birds will chew through that in seconds lol I know to keep an eye on the fleece for loose fibers but is there anything else I should be worried about? I’m also wondering if a different type of fabric would be any safer. Any other ideas are appreciated!

:thanks:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fleece is honestly probably safest. I will say that you'll maybe want something under it to absorb as fleece itself does not absorb water or urine; it passes through to the grate or pan below which can be gross. I have some for the rats but haven't used them for the bird cage at all!

You could also use Plexiglass or similar for a easier surface to walk on?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Fleece is honestly probably safest. I will say that you'll maybe want something under it to absorb as fleece itself does not absorb water or urine; it passes through to the grate or pan below which can be gross. I have some for the rats but haven't used them for the bird cage at all!

You could also use Plexiglass or similar for a easier surface to walk on?
I think the ones on etsy have an absorbent layer between the fleece and they’re washable. The plexiglass sounds like a good idea, it’d be easier to wipe clean rather than having extra laundry.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think the ones on etsy have an absorbent layer between the fleece and they’re washable. The plexiglass sounds like a good idea, it’d be easier to wipe clean rather than having extra laundry.

Yeah it depends. Some do have absorbance fabric in between, but many don't. Usually if they do it is zorb, microfleece, or U-haul blankets. The biggest issue I have had with the fleece ones for the rats is... What to do with the stuff that sticks to it. Food, feces, toy parts... Fleece clings to it and when it's all poppy I don't really want to brush it with my hand, or shake it all over my yard! So I haven't really been using them much.