• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

fleatherless but flightfull?

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
hi all
I've seemed to have fallen in love with a rescue bird (sun conure) that has no chest feathers (would Chester be a good name?!:roflmao::hilarious:) anyway, i was wondering if a bird with no feathers on its chest could still fly, and if there are any special needs like a jersey for winter...
thanks so much!
LittleBird:roflmao:

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
perfect! im going during the holidays to visit him again and hopefully bring him home
Thanks for the advice
LittleBird

(also do you, or others, know anything about special needs a featherless bird has?)

thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Is he featherless just on his chest? There is a chance that the feathers will grow back depending on how long he has been plucking- which I'm assuming is why he has no feathers there. Birds generally pluck for behavioral reasons- boredom, stress, etc. Sometimes for health reasons. Sometimes plucking is chronic but in a better environment it's possible that he'll stop. I think you need to ascertain why he's plucking and go from there.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
yes, hes only featherless on his chest. the lady that rescues/rehabilitates them says that most of the featherless bird wont re-grow their feathers since they've been doing it for most their lives... but she didn't clarify on him. i'm going there again in a week to look some more and will fill in on all the wonderful questions you've provided me with. he acts like a normal bird though
thanks so much
LittleBird:roflmao:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
They do make sweaters for pluckers (or you can find plans for making them from children's socks), but a lot of birds would just find a sweater scary and it isn't worth the stress if the bird doesn't wear it willingly. Otherwise, you'll just have to keep him a little bit warmer and maybe put a small radiant heat panel behind his cage in winter.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
thanks for the advice, i never thought about them being scared from special jerseys! thanks

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Percy has no feathers on back and chest but can fly