• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Flea bomb

Briggan

Meeting neighbors
Hello my mom is planning to set off a flea bomb in our basement while the bird and two cats are in the house, she’s planning to take the dogs to the backyard and move all the people into the yard. There is very little chance of me convincing her to NOT set it off, we have a lot of exposed dishes, cooking utensils, clothes, foodstuffs, furniture, vents and unfinished floors. Flea bombing just seems like a really really bad idea. Is there anything I can do to keep the animals as safe as possible if I am not able to get them completely out of the house?

She’s planning on keeping the cats in either the first or second level bathroom and my bird is in my room directly across from the bathroom on the second floor.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have her read the warnings on the packages. They say to remove all pets including birds from the home before doing it.

Is there anyone your birds could stay with? Or even hang out in your car, garage, etc? Depending on the weather you could also just take them outside in a carrier or their cage, you just can't leave them unattended.

This isn't just a bad smell. This is an airborne pesticide, something that makes even people sick. It can kill your birds.

Briggan

Meeting neighbors
Have her read the warnings on the packages. They say to remove all pets including birds from the home before doing it.

Is there anyone your birds could stay with? Or even hang out in your car, garage, etc? Depending on the weather you could also just take them outside in a carrier or their cage, you just can't leave them unattended.

This isn't just a bad smell. This is an airborne pesticide, something that makes even people sick. It can kill your birds.
No there’s no one to take them she only informed me of this plan about 20 minutes ago and has left to have coffee with a friend before she sets it off. The bird cage is too big to move down the stairs and out of the house, the only thing I have to move her that has worked in the past is a cleaned cat carrier. The weather is fair today but we will be out of the house for hours, and she mentioned possibly leaving to get lunch since all the food is in the house. I’d rather not bring the bird in a carrier into a car with two dogs and 5 people. I really really wish she’d consider more than just what bugs the bomb will kill. I told her many times in the past to not use products like these in general, but also because of the bird and our cats who are getting older.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In the car in a carrier is better than in the house in this situation. There is nothing I could suggest that would make me feel even remotely safe helping my pets in the house.

Hopefully someone else has some ideas for you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The bird cage is too big to move down the stairs
Maybe ask if your neighbour could have the bird cage in their house while you do this pest treatment. Then get someone to help your carry the cage.
Most flight cages, the cage will detach from the stand.

Defo gotta get the birds out of there. Cats too.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Is there maybe a local vet that could take your bird in as an emergency board for a couple days?
There’s no way it’s ok to leave the bird in the house while that pesticide is released. It would be the equivalent of purposefully poisoning something that has no ability to save itself. Birds respiratory systems aren’t like ours, they’re so sensitive and easily damaged.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Definitely get the birds and cats outside. If it’s not safe for people and dogs upstairs while the bomb is set off then it’s certainly not safe for any other living being! I don’t mean to be rude but that is simple common sense.
All food stuff, dishes etc should be at least in cupboards to minimise the amount of poisonous residue getting on them.
After the bomb has been set off and you can re enter the house safely you’ll need to seriously clean your cage, bird toys and all other bird accessories too.
The cat carrier is a better option than being in the house but then you’ll have nothing to safely contain the cats in while they’re outside.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The cat carrier is a better option than being in the house but then you’ll have nothing to safely contain the cats in while they’re outside.
Could probably DIY some sort of harness with a long rope/washing line/string using knots. As long as it goes between front legs, over shoulders, under chest. Use knots to stop it pulling tighter and hold it in place.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
you’ll need to seriously clean your cage, bird toys and all other bird accessories too.
Beat me to it again Shez. I can't stress how important this is. A good wash with Dawn followed with a wipedown with plenty of white vinegar solution should neutralise any toxic residues.