• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flaking nails

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Hey everyone!

Toki and Pickles are doing very well, but out of absolutely nowhere I've noticed that both of their nails have started to flake. Their actual feet are fine, not even dry, literally just the nails. Their beaks are fine, too. I've never had this happen before and I can't understand why; their diet hasn't changed since we've reached a happy routine (Harrisons HP superfine as their main staple, fruit and veg on the side, sometimes crushed nutriberries and a small amount of 'keet seed mix) and their perches are nicely varied in size and texture.

Any ideas?

I'll try to get photos in the next day or two, until then have a very photogenic Toki and a grumpy background Pickles -

received_10160086920160058.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Flaking toenails in humans can be a fungal infection or vitamin deficiency. You must be concerned so I would ask your vet and possibly have him or her to look at the toe nails. Are you birds getting enough sunshine? Linnies eat pretty well so serving orange, yellow veggies should be well received.

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Thanks Lady Jane! Their diet is well balanced so I can't imagine it's vitamin related. The only thing I can think of is that they did have a nail clip a few weeks ago, which is the only thing that's really changed. Are nails known to flake after a clip? On closer inspection, the flaking is growing out pretty quickly, and the new growth is flake free. All the birds I've had before have never had this problem, so it's a new one for me!

I live in the UK, so sunshine is at a premium this time of year! They do have an Arcadia UV striplight though to make up for this. It's on a timer switch so it comes on and off at the same time every day, which I've been adjusting as the seasons change.

I've been unable to book a vet appointment due to work hours, but this week is looking more promising. It's not causing either of them any discomfort, and their beaks are still normal, so that's a plus!