• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Five Bar Cichlid Missing Bottom Jaw/Fungus Infection- Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan13

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Duncan
Hi everyone,

I have a single juvenile five-bar cichlid (Neolamprologus tretocephalus) living alone with 2 Synodontis catfish. They are known to be very aggressive, and I believe that mine may have injured his lower law due to his aggression (he likes to bite at rocks, glass, etc.) At first, it was a small injury, but due to my neglect at realising the issue's severity, the injury started growing white fuzzy stuff all over the lower law, disintegrating it and leaving him barely able to eat. I've been treating him with strong doses of melafix, but the situation has gotten worse and worse over the last few days. Any help would be more than welcome, as I just want to know if there is a chance to save my little buddy. If not, it would be helpful to provide some info of methods of how to humanely euthanise fish. I would only euthanise him if it was the last option though, as he was quite expensive and one of my favorite fish. But I do hate to see him struggling more and more to eat food, and so I just want the best possible choice.

(sorry for the bad image quality) Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 4.52.49 PM.jpg

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I would euthanize...clove oil, if I remember correctly, is considered to be painless.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
That is a bit extreme to the damage or missing flesh but looking at him could be more going on side there with his belly looking like he is a bit thin. You can try salt baths to see if that will help. Most fungal infections are generally secondary to any injury.

I am sorry that he looks like that or got that way. Is he able to eat? He is an African and they do love to eat. Is your water quality high alkaline mixed with Rift salts?

Keep us posted.

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Send an e-mail asking Wet Web Media. They are freshwater and saltwater experts on disease, water quality, anything! Best source of info!

Duncan13

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Duncan
His water is at a stable pH of around 8. He can still eat, but is having a harder and harder time doing so, and I often have to swirl the food around as it makes it easier for him to access it. As for the email link, thanks, I will definitely try to contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies.