• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fish Question so

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Ok so I have a big big tank

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Sorry posted too soon
I have a big tank probably like 100 gallons
I have been thinking about ghost shrimp and like 2-3 fish, do you have any that you like that could live with ghost shrimp? Thanks!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Check liveaquaria.com. We have 4 fish tanks and we always refer to this site as it can tell you what fish can live with what! It's been a favorite of ours as one of our hobbies is a reef tank so we've had to do our research! Lol

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I've never had any luck at keeping ghost shrimp. They always seem to get eaten by the other fish. I bought 20 a few months ago, put them into the tank, and it was a feeding frenzy. Even with the shrimp having plenty of places to hide they were all eaten within a few days. The only fish that didn't eat any was my large pleco.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never had any luck at keeping ghost shrimp. They always seem to get eaten by the other fish. I bought 20 a few months ago, put them into the tank, and it was a feeding frenzy. Even with the shrimp having plenty of places to hide they were all eaten within a few days. The only fish that didn't eat any was my large pleco.

This is also my experience. Most fish that can be with them simply don't have big enough mouths to try eating them. So, small tetras and the like, which aren't nearly as hardy of fish, but would look good in a large school if your tank is indeed that large!

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Ghost shrimp are mainly used for feeding fish, and they work very well. If you want fish that are meant for fish tank companions, you might want to try shrimp like cherry shrimp, ADA (aqua design amano) has some very nice planted tanks with shrimp, a few fish too. If you are looking to stock a 100gallon with fish, I would recommend some medium sized cichlids and a crayfish, make sure to plan your substrate accordingly, these guys LOVE to dig, eat plants, and break things they shouldn't.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
There is such a thing as not having enough biomass in a tank to keep it going. 100 gallons is a lot. If it is properly filtered and cycled, you can have more than 2 fish and some shrimp.

Look into the different kinds of tanks that are possible and try to avoid a hodge podge noob tank as they look like garbage and don't work out well.

Have you heard of African cichlids? Maybe get like 15 yellow labidochromis and 10 yellowtail acei and call it a day? All you need is some rocks in there for them.