• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fish Enrichment?

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
:rofl: Spike sounds like such a character. My best friend had a puffer in high school, and he didn't know very much about fish so he also had a teeny tiny little frog in the same aquarium. ...one day he came back to find the frog floating on top of the water, all of its limbs chewed off. :( They're little carnivores!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kristen, have you visited Lara Josephs' FB page recently? She is currently target training a Betta fish. ;)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I was going to say what Judy said, yep, you can train them. Other than that, how big is the tank? Can you house a compatible friend with him?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I remember reading puffer fish are territorial. Hummmm... Next thing we will be hearing is Fish Wars!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
So, inspired by a Mythbuster episode with goldfish, I've got a friend who's going to make inserts to my tank with holes in them. The idea is going to be to make Spike have to navigate the holes to get his food when it's time to eat. Sadly, no friends for him, he's far too aggressive. Anything that even remotely moves around him gets taste tested so I'm sure he'd take down any tank mates within a day. Which kinda bums me out since they have orange chromides at my local fish store and I would have loved to have them in my tank.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I caution you, and hope this isn't something you plan to leave in the tank. It could have some bad side effects, like making dead spots where the water does not circulate properly. It could kill your fish.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
:coffeescreen: Good lord no, I'm sooooo freaking picky about how the tank looks, they'll only go in when it's feeding time. They're going to be sized acrylic with holders on the top to keep them in place with two holes in each about the size of a baseball so Spike can get through easily.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I think it's time we got to see some pics...pretty please.:fish:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I'll try and get some today, I was trying earlier, but he moves SO freaking much it's impossible to get a good picture. He has things to do apparently. :lol: