• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fish are friends

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'd say it's better to not clean the tank.... just do water changes and clean up any waste in the tank.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Thanks for the input - I've still yet to move my anubia to an attached format but I'm working on finding something interesting to tie it to. The other plant came with an anchor so it makes things easier.

As for cleaning, I've been continuing on with my 20% water changes every other day and have been spot cleaning the gravel with a turkey baster. For week 3 I'll start water changes every third day. I don't really have a testing kit, but Sir Swims-A-Lot is getting some fin growth around the edges and the tank hasn't begun to smell so I'm hoping my little bacteria colony is taking the opportunity to grow.

I got another plant as well and am purchasing some hornwort, frogbit and moss balls tomorrow, which should be fun.

Should be fully finalizing the tank decor soon :) hopefully it'll be a good home for the little fish.

IMG_3013.JPG

Sofro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Matilda

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh it does look nice! Very serene.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Awww swim in peace Sir Swims-a-lot

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@JaclynBin Absolutly love those plants! And your fish too!
I had an aquarium in my room pretty much as long as I can remember, my grandfather mostly ran it and took care of the O2 levels and such. I had a lot of different species over the years and a salamander too at one time. I loved watching them! I have not had one for about 7 years now, but my grandpa does, and there ate still Some fish out of my old aquarium! Unfortunatly one of them died last week, but two are still there. I don’t know their names in English but it are the grey ones with the black stripes. Couldn’t get pictures of all the fish though, way too Fast lol. Last week he got a discus fish out of a store when I was buying duck food, we are getting him a buddy next week(they only had one of them) However, I don’t know a lot about fish, my grandpa does but the knowledge he has might be outdated so if you see anything that should be different please tell me!
7B40F64A-A579-491C-909A-13A91CC10DCD.jpeg 7381AC93-8971-44A4-925F-2A82C6ACDAC1.jpeg

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
@JaclynBin Absolutly love those plants! And your fish too!
I had an aquarium in my room pretty much as long as I can remember, my grandfather mostly ran it and took care of the O2 levels and such. I had a lot of different species over the years and a salamander too at one time. I loved watching them! I have not had one for about 7 years now, but my grandpa does, and there ate still Some fish out of my old aquarium! Unfortunatly one of them died last week, but two are still there. I don’t know their names in English but it are the grey ones with the black stripes. Couldn’t get pictures of all the fish though, way too Fast lol. Last week he got a discus fish out of a store when I was buying duck food, we are getting him a buddy next week(they only had one of them) However, I don’t know a lot about fish, my grandpa does but the knowledge he has might be outdated so if you see anything that should be different please tell me!
View attachment 265592 View attachment 265593
That's an adorable little discus and I love those fluffy ferns :)

I used to be really into fish when I was a teenager and used to make little goldfish ponds in my room out of Rubbermaid containers and air pumps. Unfortunately I went on exchange and then university and have been perpetually exhausted ever since so I don't have much of a memory for these things anymore :wacky:

Fish are great though - and as much as that betta tank was a bit too little for my liking, it was probably the favourite of mine in terms of visuals.

There's just something so peaceful about watching the fish swim around when it's the only thing lit up in a dark room.

IMG_4941.JPG
Here's a not-so-recent photo of my current tanks

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That's an adorable little discus and I love those fluffy ferns :)

I used to be really into fish when I was a teenager and used to make little goldfish ponds in my room out of Rubbermaid containers and air pumps. Unfortunately I went on exchange and then university and have been perpetually exhausted ever since so I don't have much of a memory for these things anymore :wacky:

Fish are great though - and as much as that betta tank was a bit too little for my liking, it was probably the favourite of mine in terms of visuals.

There's just something so peaceful about watching the fish swim around when it's the only thing lit up in a dark room.

View attachment 265608
Here's a not-so-recent photo of my current tanks
Yeah it is very peachefull indeed! I had fish till I was 11 I think. Most of the time I could see the fish tank from my bed and could watch them while falling asleep. I also really missed the water noise after they were gone(we moved to another house and my grandpa took the fish), I loved that noise!
I really like your tanks! Love the sculptures in the left one. Also, are those all live plants? They do look like it, really Nice and natural!

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I've had bettas live up to 4 years in 3.5 gallon tanks, which I did 100% water changes on twice a week, sometimes just once if I really couldn't get to it. With non-betta fish, you would leave some of the old water in, but with bettas (according to the forums I'm on), 100% water change is best. I would always test the water, read the Ph, and add the appropriate amount of salt and dechlorinator. For me, I eventually got rid of all the rocks as it was too much work with all those water changes.

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
I've had bettas live up to 4 years in 3.5 gallon tanks, which I did 100% water changes on twice a week, sometimes just once if I really couldn't get to it. With non-betta fish, you would leave some of the old water in, but with bettas (according to the forums I'm on), 100% water change is best. I would always test the water, read the Ph, and add the appropriate amount of salt and dechlorinator. For me, I eventually got rid of all the rocks as it was too much work with all those water changes.
Thanks for the advice! In terms of filtration - I don't think I'd want to completely remove the old water just to leave some ammonia for the filter bacteria to soak up and the plants to absorb but that's definitely a great idea for smaller tanks. A bit tougher to maintain an aquascape but you'd probably have some great water quality :D

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Yeah it is very peachefull indeed! I had fish till I was 11 I think. Most of the time I could see the fish tank from my bed and could watch them while falling asleep. I also really missed the water noise after they were gone(we moved to another house and my grandpa took the fish), I loved that noise!
I really like your tanks! Love the sculptures in the left one. Also, are those all live plants? They do look like it, really Nice and natural!
Thanks! That's too bad - trickling water noise is definitely nice to fall asleep to. :) And they are real plants but they've taken a bit of a hit recently since I went away for Christmas and the light timer messed up and didn't turn on the lights. I'm hoping they regrow with a little bit of pruning and fertilizer

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The larger the tank, the more stable the water parameters are. The smaller the tank, the quicker it can be for the parameters to go out of whack.

Sorry to hear about Sir Swims-A-Lot. He was a lovely looking betta.