• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fish are friends

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
I've owned smaller tropical fish years ago and decided to take the plunge again today because I've been having trouble sleeping in my apartment and figured the sound of water would be nice ambient noise to muffle my neighbours.
I've never had such a small tank and I somehow ended up with the quietest filter known to mankind. It somehow defeats the purpose but it's fun and peaceful to look at.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what would make a mini tank look best?

I'm going to find out what heater is compatible with this thing and was thinking about adding a few live plants (I really like those furry moss balls - but they're more expensive than the betas) because I'm more of a gardener than a fish keeper.

Also - do those big mystery snails ever try to escape their tanks? I was thinking they looked pretty cool but the tank is on my bedside table and if I ever woke up to a snail in my bed I don't think I'd ever sleep again.

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

Attachments

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I have no experience with the mini tanks, but wanted to state that I actually really like it, quite pretty to view.

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
My betta is in a 2.5 gallon tank. Lots of water changes and live plants is what I do. My last better lived 1.5 years (older betta when I bought it)

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
My betta is in a 2.5 gallon tank. Lots of water changes and live plants is what I do. My last better lived 1.5 years (older betta when I bought it)
That's a rather good age for a small fish. This tank holds 2 US gallons. What kind of plants do you keep? Also do you use a syphon and make partial water changes or just completely change all of the tank water? I feel like syphon such a narrow tank might be a challenge but apparently the side divider thing is supposed to make life easier.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your little beta tank is very cute. :)

You can get small 25 watt heaters on amazon. They are little

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I probably have a heater that size, if you want to pm me....if you'll pay shipping it's yours.

That's a really nice looking tank! We had 13 tanks at one time.

I use black substrate and live plants. I kinda pile the substrate at the back of the tank sloping downward, so the plants seem to be bigger in the back. Having plants helps you not have to change the water quite as much.

You *can* siphon the water out of a 2 gallon, but it's easier just to dip it out ... I even have moved betas out by using a small margarine tub, set betta aside, dump/change water and move him back in.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
I too have tropical fish. I would suggest some live plants as they look nice and provide oxygenation. Some plants I suggest for small tanks are: java moss and or java fern, anubius, bamboo, water sprite, or micro sword of some type. Grasses are also nice.
I've attached a picture of my 30 gal. With live plants.

Beautiful tank and beta by the way.

Attachments

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That looks nice. For little tank water change, I make my own syphons as I found all store bought ones empty to quickly. I wanted to slow it down so that I can make sure I was getting rid of debris. I have to be careful that I don't suck up too much substrate, as my home made syphons aren't fancy enough to stop it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would probably just house a betta in it. Out isn't really large enough for anything else, as most of the smaller fish like to be in schools.

The snails will only leave the water if the want to lay eggs. Then they'll do it above the water line and go back down in there. Just scrape the egg bundle off if you don't want 1000 snails. They do need to mate to have live eggs but the females can hold sperm for awhile. I actually love mystery snails and find them super awesome :)

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Thanks for the advice, everyone - I'll see if I can find any fun plants at petland next time I'm in the neighbourhood. A mini sword would be awesome!

I think I'll just buy a turkey baster or small bit of tubing from the dollar store to clear out bottom debris and then scoop out some of the water for changes - since, as someone pointed out, it would drain fairly quickly. And I'll have to get a bit more substrate to provide better anchoring.

This is turning into a fun little project. Thanks for the advice on the snails too!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I made my own mini syphons with clear narrow hosing attached to a narrow perspex clear tube. I found the hosing by itself too flexible and that I have better control on where to point it with the stability of the more solid tube attached.

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Sir Swims-A-Lot's tank heater came in today, as well as a tank thermometer and a rather large bottle of water conditioner.

He's acclimatized to his environment quite well and hopefully will enjoy his tropical water temperature.

IMG_2876.JPG
The heater fits in the 'hidden' part of the tank (behind the divider), beside the filter which is great.

IMG_2868.JPG
I'll have to see if I can get him some plants or something this weekend. Would I have to let the tank set for a while before putting him back in if I change out the substrate for something more plant friendly?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If the tank isn't cycled, then you need to be doing water changes at least every 3 days until the tank is cycled.

Moving substrate and decorations around can cause a mini-cycle. If you keep up on the water changes, this shouldn't be a big deal.

The API master freshwater liquid test kit is great in knowing what your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are at. Fish and food create waste (aka ammonia, which gets converted to nitrites and then to nitrates), which the live plants will then consume some of.

Any low light aquatic plants are fine, or even floating plants if you like those, too. The only thing about floating plants (which are *great* at consuming nitrates) is that you want to keep them away from the filter, which may mean you need a filter guard of some sort. If you know anyone who does 3D printing, you could always have them make you a guard!

For a small tank, you probably want to keep with small, slow growing plants and crypts.

Low Light, Beginner Aquarium Plants | PetHelpful

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Thanks everyon, for the awesome advice.

Your link was really great @Monica - and I've purchased two of the plants on the 'recommended for beginners' list.

I've been doing about 20% water changes everyday and did a full water change today so that I could add more gravel.

I'm going to try and get a floating plant too - I'm assuming it just has to be distanced from the filter intake as opposed to the output? This would be perfect as there's a holed divider between the filter and the rest of the tank. I would just have to make sure it wouldn't get too big because the water surface area is rather small. I also wouldn't mind some java moss or other carpeting plant to take up the middle section if the tank. I kept one of the plastic plants in to avoid empty spaces.

What do you think? Would that be too much for such a little space?

IMG_2910.JPG

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Glad you got the heater as they are tropical fish & need heat espec in winter when rooms are cooler.
Not a fan of changing all the water at once. Its best to do smaller water changes as they are sensitive to ph shifts or other things that can really be different in the new water.

The water conditioner should take care of the water chemicals but you do need to try to keep the PH similar & in a range best for that type of fish but guess you are safe around 6.8 to 7.2

That is a small tank so it will be more work keeping the water clean.

I used to get those plants that sort of looked like banannas...

Aquarium Banana Plant: Care, Tubers, Roots & Planting

Seems they can flowers but none of mine ever did

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Those banana plants look awesome!
I won't make a habit of changing the water all at once, but it was easier with the addition of new substrate this time around. I will have to find out what the PH of our water is - I imagine it's close to 7 but it wouldn't hurt to check. Thanks for the input :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It might depend on where the intake is for the filter. If it's not at top, then floating plants should be okay. I would recommend staying away from duckweed, as it multiplies fast! Some of the others, I don't know how fast they multiply, and some can have long roots, which will need trimming. Just things to keep in mind. :)

Definitely looks better with live plants! Something else to think about... plants with rhizomes (aka anubias and java fern) do best "attached" to something rather than planted in the substrate. If in the substrate, it may harm the plant and eventually kill it. They can be attached to rocks, driftwood, or decorations if you want.

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
Handsome Betta! I have had fish tanks off and on since I was a child...now I just have a single Betta in a little 2 gallon. The smaller tanks are a pain. I do have a tiny heater..but no filter in this. I make a water change every week..I take the fish out in a small cup with some of the water. You never of course want to clean it too clean...so I always save some of the old water to put back in, then water conditioner or de-chlor. I do believe they will eat snails...I think I made that mistake once when I had a Betta in a bigger tank and I bought one of those big snails....poor snail....Plus in such a small tank you really don't want to have more than one fish. Enjoy you fish!