• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First vet visit and pet store wing trim failure

Dirk_Gently

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Darby
Things are going pretty well over all with our new friend. Had the initial vet visit and besides being a little under weight (99 grams) the little bird seems healthy - and I suppose a little skinny is an easier fix than too fat.

DNA sexing is in progress! So, that will make talking about him/her easier and will lock in a name for us.

The vet isn't sure the hatch date given to us from the pet store is correct - She thinks (s)he's older than the june 30 day we were told, based on the minimal green coloring. But, that's okay. Age isn't important to me.

I have noticed that the poor girl/guy falls like a stone. Stupid pet store cut every flight feather plus a few more. Hopefully (s)he molts those juvenille feathers soon. I feel terrible for him/her. But, so far (s)he's a sweet heart.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have noticed that the poor girl/guy falls like a stone. Stupid pet store cut every flight feather plus a few more. Hopefully (s)he molts those juvenille feathers soon.
Please do everything in your power to prevent your bird from falling until he has some lift. This has dire psychological implications down the road.

Those were all brand new feathers that were clipped that have a full life span in front of them. Flight feathers are also only moulted sparingly (1 or 2 at a time) for safety reasons. It’s going to take many months to recover from that clip

Dirk_Gently

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Darby
Please do everything in your power to prevent your bird from falling until he has some lift. This has dire psychological implications down the road.

Those were all brand new feathers that were clipped that have a full life span in front of them. Flight feathers are also only moulted sparingly (1 or 2 at a time) for safety reasons. It’s going to take many months to recover from that clip
That's what i was afraid of. He's only ended up on the floor 1 time - we've been VERY careful since realizing they butchered his feathers. I've been trying to decide if i should go in and have words with that groomer so another bird doesn't end up this way.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That's what i was afraid of. He's only ended up on the floor 1 time - we've been VERY careful since realizing they butchered his feathers. I've been trying to decide if i should go in and have words with that groomer so another bird doesn't end up this way.
It might make you feel better but it won’t change a darn thing because that’s the way they do things.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that things went well at the vet's. Sorry about the wing clip and the flying right now but, as you know, he'll grow those feathers back.

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
You will be surprised how fast he can learn to fly again. I quite trimming Gilligan because he just learned to fly with the standard clip. He just flaps harder. So now he is flighted, but not allowed out with big birds for his own safety. (He tries to go visit the cockatoo and macaw).

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
pad the floor with cushions and quilts. It has saved my flight disabled grey from many a nasty injury!