• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Umbrella Cockatoo

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
image.jpg F86BD407-86CE-41F0-9881-59BD20F4C668.jpeg So today I got an Umbrella Cockatoo, (unsure of dna sex, I think it’s male,) and the bird is absolutely the sweetest when it’s in the cage, and when it’s out and on me. If it’s on the floor completely different ball game. But my biggest issue is that, if I leave the room, he screams, I turned the light out (dimmer lighting) he screams. I don’t mean one, two, or even three screams, I mean complete parade of constant screeching that cannot be quenched. I understand that it is a cockatoo thing, I just want to be able to sleep without constant screaming. I would like some advice please. Is he testing me? Is something bothering him or scaring him? He’s had four homes so far counting me, and the last one had him for six years.. Could it be stress? I’m not sure.. minimum age is 15 years old on the bird

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Could be it getting use to a new environment and missing the old owners or flock mates? While screaming is a very natural behaviour, screaming 24/7 or over night isn't. And could potentially point to something physically wrong. So having a general checkup with an avian vet is a good place to start. It could be a learn behavior too. Or something off in the environment. Some parrots prefer room to be completely dark and other don't. So experimenting with lighting could be helpful.

How long have you had for? Do you know if he ever lived with other birds?

Sylvester

Hit the Road
U2's can be very demanding birds with a great sense of entitlement.

But everything is very new to him, so patience is the key. I have a male U2 and he would also scream whenever I left the room, for minutes on end. Fred's first night with me was filled with a two hour screaming fit,...he finally knocked himself out. With time Fred's screaming has lessen because he knows I am coming back and he also feels more secure in his home.

And yes, these birds do test people, so the most important thing for you to do is to not give in to every scream he makes.

My suggestions:

Interact with him..however, he needs to learn to be independent.
Get him toys
Good food
a vet visit

....and don't spoil him! He will settle down.

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Could be it getting use to a new environment and missing the old owners or flock mates? While screaming is a very natural behaviour, screaming 24/7 or over night isn't. And could potentially point to something physically wrong. So having a general checkup with an avian vet is a good place to start. It could be a learn behavior too. Or something off in the environment. Some parrots prefer room to be completely dark and other don't. So experimenting with lighting could be helpful.

How long have you had for? Do you know if he ever lived with other birds?
He’s never lived with other birds, by the way he acted when he heard my cockatiel he was not pleased. I just got him today, but I’ve met him before and bonded what seemed well with him. He comes out of his cage but when he does he lays in my lap and just snuggles up to me. I am taking him to the vet next Monday (earliest they could get me in) and I’m slowly switching him to supreme and Kaytee mix. The lady I got him from fed him Walmart food and peanut butter all the time.. I tried using Organic peanut butter walker and he was not having it and threw a fit. I have bananas and blueberries in there right now but he won’t touch them. He’s an amazing bird though and I hope I get longer with him.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's a really big change for him. It going to be some time or a lot of time for him to adjust to his new normal. Its great you visited before hand and form a bond but you're still very much in the beginning of your relationship.

With Patience, time and consistency its very likely he'll come around and stop screaming at nights. Its best not to react to when he screams at night. It can be hard and if you slip up its not the end of the world. It definitely best to develop a nighttime routine. A set time he goes to bed at is a must IMHO.

While consistency is important I'm not a believer that that every day has to be exactly the same. Its more about how you are consistent with how you deal with certain behaviors. And that you aren't unpredictable in your approach to him.

You're still so early in your relationship, its extremely common to have a rocky start so don't be discouraged by that. I find if you paid enough attention and/or sensitive to their emotions you'll slowly learn what your bird needs and how to best to interact with him. It can be a real learning curve. Every bird is so different, I could never say I'm an expert in cockatoos but I like to think I'm an expert in dealing with my own bird. Which is what wish for every bird owner. And I wish you both all the best :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
View attachment 306310 View attachment 306311 So today I got an Umbrella Cockatoo, (unsure of dna sex, I think it’s male,) and the bird is absolutely the sweetest when it’s in the cage, and when it’s out and on me. If it’s on the floor completely different ball game. But my biggest issue is that, if I leave the room, he screams, I turned the light out (dimmer lighting) he screams. I don’t mean one, two, or even three screams, I mean complete parade of constant screeching that cannot be quenched. I understand that it is a cockatoo thing, I just want to be able to sleep without constant screaming. I would like some advice please. Is he testing me? Is something bothering him or scaring him? He’s had four homes so far counting me, and the last one had him for six years.. Could it be stress? I’m not sure.. minimum age is 15 years old on the bird
What kind of birds have you got experience with? This a whole different league of bird ownership. Buckle up and hold on. You've never been on a roller coaster this big. For the rest of your life. Always here to help. You are going to need strength and courage but most of all patience. The patience of a petrified stump.

Right now you're in the "honeymoon" stage. (3 weeks to 6 months).

Here's the basics about screaming. Absorb my friend and welcome.
RP - Screaming

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
What kind of birds have you got experience with? This a whole different league of bird ownership. Buckle up and hold on. You've never been on a roller coaster this big. For the rest of your life. Always here to help. You are going to need strength and courage but most of all patience. The patience of a petrified stump.

Right now you're in the "honeymoon" stage. (3 weeks to 6 months).

Here's the basics about screaming. Absorb my friend and welcome.
RP - Screaming
This is my first larger bird. I’ve had conures in the past and have a cockatiel right now. I told the lady I got him from I’d give him at LEAST 2 months to settle in and everything because my neighbors already complained about the noise today to animal control. He stopped screaming when I covered him up, hopefully he was just tired and stressed from the move today and from everything that he just needed a good sleep

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
So update on the big baby, I just uncovered him and he hasn’t screamed or anything yet which I am excited about, he’s been talking but he won’t eat. He just ate a little dehydrated sweet potato but that’s it so far, and I’m starting to get a little worried. But I’m going to leave him in there for today and tomorrow so he can settle in more. If he doesn’t eat tomorrow or today I’m going to take him to an emergency vet to make sure he’s okay. Do you recommend any specific toys or foraging toys?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have an umbrella, but I have a goffin. I personally wouldn't leave him in the cage for that long unless he seems stressed out of his cage. He's probably needing reassurance that everything is okay because he's in a new home, etc. Are you feeding him the same food that he's used to eating from his prior home? Introducing new food too quickly usually doesn't work well with a cockatoo.

As for screaming at night, my goffin also screamed at night. A lot when we fist got him. Now just a little. Part of it for me, was figuring out how he liked to go to bed. I was only partially covering him because that's what I did for my cockatiel. He liked being totally covered. And I also got a white noise machine for him. That helped too.

Last edited:

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I don't have an umbrella, but I have a goffin. I personally wouldn't leave him in the cage for that long unless he seems stressed out of his cage. He's probably needing reassurance that everything is okay because he's in a new home, etc. Are you feeding him the same food that he's used to eating from his prior home? Introducing new good too quickly usually doesn't work well with a cockatoo.

As for screaming at night, my goffin also screamed at night. A lot when we fist got him. Now just a little. Part of it for me, was figuring out how he liked to go to bed. I was only partially covering him because that's what I did for my cockatiel. He liked being totally covered. And I also got a white noise machine for him. That helped too.
He’s on the same food that she had him on, I think my cockatiel is freaking him out though because he seems really surprised by him a lot. Everytime I open his cage he opens his wings and puts his head down (she used to rub under his wings I guess) so I just rub his head. He’s been shaking and constantly looking at me so I’m fixing to take him out and play with him. I read on here and on other sites that you should leave them in the cage for about two days so they settle in then start working with them, I think it just depends on the bird.

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
So I opened his cage, I put my hand out for him and he put his head in my hand and I started petting around his head, then his feathers puffed up and he started shaking. I’ll take a picture real quick to show you what I mean

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So I opened his cage, I put my hand out for him and he put his head in my hand and I started petting around his head, then his feathers puffed up and he started shaking. I’ll take a picture real quick to show you what I mean
Do you think he's sick or just scared? He should be eating if it's the same food. Maybe try hand feeding him some food? The whole leave the bird in his cage for two days thing really does just depend on the bird. My cockatoo was out of his cage probably within the first 3 minutes he was in our house. He was just that kind of bird. If your cockatiel is freaking him out maybe can you put him in a different room for awhile?

@cassiesdad ?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I’ll take a picture real quick to show you what I mean
He is wanting you to give him scritches! That's a good sign.

Definitely watch his eating...he's had quite a rough few days...some birds will "shut down" during times like that. When Milton the U2 came to live with us (adopted from a rescue) it took a day or so for him to begin eating here.

Oh yes, Milton was definitely cautious for the first week or so after his arrival. We didn't push interaction with him...just opened the cage door, let him watch the daily goings-on, and talk to him like we do with our other birds. Eventually, his curiosity got to him and he showed his interest in interacting with us.

Like you said, every bird is different, but this is how we started with Milty.

Milton really doesn't "do" foraging toys...he loves to be a buzz saw with wood, though. He also likes to shred paper, so we hang old phone books in his cage...

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
He is wanting you to give him scritches! That's a good sign.

Definitely watch his eating...he's had quite a rough few days...some birds will "shut down" during times like that. When Milton the U2 came to live with us (adopted from a rescue) it took a day or so for him to begin eating here.

Oh yes, Milton was definitely cautious for the first week or so after his arrival. We didn't push interaction with him...just opened the cage door, let him watch the daily goings-on, and talk to him like we do with our other birds. Eventually, his curiosity got to him and he showed his interest in interacting with us.

Like you said, every bird is different, but this is how we started with Milty.

Milton really doesn't "do" foraging toys...he loves to be a buzz saw with wood, though. He also likes to shred paper, so we hang old phone books in his cage...
I just opened his cage, gave him some scratches and left the door open, he immediately went to the bottom of his cage and was super curious! Now he’s walking to the corner by his cage, his crest is down now. He looks a little skittish but I don’t expect him to be confident just yet

Attachments

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I just opened his cage, gave him some scratches and left the door open, he immediately went to the bottom of his cage and was super curious! Now he’s walking to the corner by his cage, his crest is down now. He looks a little skittish but I don’t expect him to be confident just yet
I went and sat on the ground with him and he started hitting his beak on my leg hard, and on his cage. I’m not sure how he’s gonna go back in or IF he’ll go back in yet

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...he's looking around the new digs...another good sign.

What's his name? :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Do you know much about cockatoo body language? I often forget how little I knew in the beginning and that whats obvious now to me may not be for a newbie. How they hold their feathers can tell you a lot about how they are feeling. The way you mentioned him hitting his beak of things make me think of it.

True striking of the beak is a warning that a bite might be coming. My cockatiel use to do and i have seen other species of parrots to it too. I don't think I've ever seen either of my cockatoos do it thou. They will hiss and puffed out their feathers when they feel threatened by something.

Beak clicking is a extremely common in cockatoos. Soft clicking is a very good sign, i take it to mean "I want to be friendly with you" or "I mean you no harm" Here's an example of what I'm talking about
Cockatoos often do in confine spaces too, like under a blanket or something.

Occasionally cockatoos can do hard clicking which is usually a warning and a sign something it aggravating them. Now it doesn't always mean this. Zane my M2 would do hard clicking when he was happy or mad. I think it was something he learn in captivity. Since birds in captivity aren't in a natural environment, unnatural behaviours can arise for that. So its important to remember this is just guide and your bird may act differently depending on how he has learned to interact with people.

Feather beards are a sign of being content or relaxed. Here's a picture of Echo with a feather beard 20181227_173951.jpg
Basically its when his facial feathers cover his lower beak.

In my experience rised Crestes mean a variety of things. But mainly its a sign of alertness, whether it curiosity or supprised or just general interest in something.

Beak grinding usually means they tired but content :)

Those are just a few obvious signs I could think of. When you get to know your more you'll learn his mannerisms and what's unique to his personality :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Occasionally cockatoos can do hard clicking which is usually a warning and a sign something it aggravating them. Now it doesn't always mean this. Zane my M2 would do hard clicking when he was happy or mad. I think it was something he learn in captivity. Since birds in captivity aren't in a natural environment, unnatural behaviours can arise for that. So its important to remember this is just guide and your bird may act differently depending on how he has learned to interact with people.
...good point. Milton's hard and fast clicking means one of two things...excitement or aggravation. If he's physically near you, it's best to find out what's up with him when he's doing that...and quickly!

Just another example of every bird's individuality...

Atomicor

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
So I have many updates. I mean many. We took him to his veterinarian appointment today, and he did amazing. He sat there and took all the loving he could get from the vet, and her assistants. Many of them kept going in and out just to see him and love on him cause he couldn’t get enough. She said he’s in great health overall, and was one of the best acting birds she’s had. As far as a DNA test we’re getting one soon as it comes in, and she estimated his age around 15 years old. He’s been coming on my arm and sitting on my shoulder and stuff lately.

Attachments