• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time with a Senior dog ever and her eye sight is quickly diminishing

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have been a dog owner since 1994 and have never had any over the age of 11 until now. Our Bella is fine, she is just almost 13 and perfect thus far.

Yonah, our older Girl was Vet checked in early August and cataracts were noted again by our Vet on the house-call. Not long ago, I noticed she wiped out at the bottom of 7 steps on our deck. I was like WTH was that!? And I see her getting up. I was not sure if she had an issue with mobility or not.

So her eyesight seems to be the issue and moreso more noticeable all the time. She stands there, like never moves if I move and I knock her in the nose with my knee. Or she walks right into my legs. She has never missed treats tossed or dropped right in front of her. She's looking up and well they bounce of her head etc. She feels safer going to sleep in the closet in the bathroom, that's her safe place. She is going in there more. She has her usual great appetite so she isn't sick at all, seems to have no pains or aches- I do supplement with tumeric in her food too for anti inflammatory and she also gets a mushroom supplement for her immune system. So ill no, maybe some slight slowing down of her strength, legs or so.

She practically misses her bowl when I put it in the feeder in the morning. I am making the best provisions for her putting the bowl in slow and letting her nose follow it. I count the steps as she comes up 1-7 and praise her when she gets to the top and pet her. I see that she seems embarassed in a pride sort of way.

I have never had this issue with any others. If anyone has suggestions on how to make her feel more confident? She eats very good food, has had sweet potato added to her dinners- beta carotene good for eyes, blueberries, green beans so she gets Vit D, Vit K and Vit C and plenty of anti oxidants. It is the signs of growing old that make me feel bad for her and I cannot fix this one.

She has been with me 10 1/2 years and was adopted in 2008 and est to be not older than 5 or younger than 3. She can be 13 or 14 or ever 15 now.

Just some good ideas and stories of how to make life more manageable for her.

Thank you in advance!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Since she has been with you for so long and is it the same house you are in now, if so, she knows where everything is, don't change anything. If you add something, let her smell it and put it in a spot where she can find it by smell. Just speak in your normal tone of voice and you might think about getting a clicker to help guide her, etc

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think that what you're doing so far sounds great for her confidence. If I think of anything else I'll come back to post but wanted to tell you about a supplement called Occuglow. A doggie optometrist recommended it l.

Ocu-GLO Vision Supplement for Small Dogs, Animal Necessity - Lutein, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Grapeseed Extract Support Optimal Eye Health & Vision in Dogs - Antioxidants for Canine Ocular Health - 45ct Amazon.com : Ocu-GLO Vision Supplement for Small Dogs, Animal Necessity - Lutein, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Grapeseed Extract Support Optimal Eye Health & Vision in Dogs - Antioxidants for Canine Ocular Health - 45ct : Pet Supplies

It worked amazingly well with my mom's dog who had cataracts from diabetes. One day he couldn't see at all and after a couple of weeks on Occuglow he actually regained vision! I truly believe this helped slow the progression tremendously

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Since she has been with you for so long and is it the same house you are in now, if so, she knows where everything is, don't change anything. If you add something, let her smell it and put it in a spot where she can find it by smell. Just speak in your normal tone of voice and you might think about getting a clicker to help guide her, etc
Yes, the house is the same since she came home. Nothing has or will change. Her hearing appear to be okay. But a clicker may help her too. Thanks for the suggestion. ;)
I think that what you're doing so far sounds great for her confidence. If I think of anything else I'll come back to post but wanted to tell you about a supplement called Occuglow. A doggie optometrist recommended it l.

Ocu-GLO Vision Supplement for Small Dogs, Animal Necessity - Lutein, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Grapeseed Extract Support Optimal Eye Health & Vision in Dogs - Antioxidants for Canine Ocular Health - 45ct Amazon.com : Ocu-GLO Vision Supplement for Small Dogs, Animal Necessity - Lutein, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Grapeseed Extract Support Optimal Eye Health & Vision in Dogs - Antioxidants for Canine Ocular Health - 45ct : Pet Supplies

It worked amazingly well with my mom's dog who had cataracts from diabetes. One day he couldn't see at all and after a couple of weeks on Occuglow he actually regained vision! I truly believe this helped slow the progression tremendously
Great suggestion, I had googled things for cataracts. This will be a sure try! She's in the med/lg size. I haven't seen what the dosage is though. Once or twice a day?

Reviews seem really good. I will order it tomorrow. Thank you for this info!!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Yes, the house is the same since she came home. Nothing has or will change. Her hearing appear to be okay. But a clicker may help her too. Thanks for the suggestion. ;)

Great suggestion, I had googled things for cataracts. This will be a sure try! She's in the med/lg size. I haven't seen what the dosage is though. Once or twice a day?

Reviews seem really good. I will order it tomorrow. Thank you for this info!!

I hope it will help you too! I will have to ask my mom about dosage tomorrow. I'm sorry that I don't know

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I hope it will help you too! I will have to ask my mom about dosage tomorrow. I'm sorry that I don't know
I do know there are two for small and large/med dogs. I will read more on it. 45 or 90 dose sizes though.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I do know there are two for small and large/med dogs. I will read more on it. 45 or 90 dose sizes though.
Oh, yes, there are 2 choices. One is for small dogs and one is for medium/large.

I would get the m/l for your dog. My mom's dog was 24 lbs and he got the m/l formulation.

The choice between 45 & 90 just means that 1 bottle contains 45 capsules so if you choose 90 you get 2 bottles in one order. Hope that makes sense

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh, yes, there are 2 choices. One is for small dogs and one is for medium/large.

I would get the m/l for your dog. My mom's dog was 24 lbs and he got the m/l formulation.

The choice between 45 & 90 just means that 1 bottle contains 45 capsules so if you choose 90 you get 2 bottles in one order. Hope that makes sense
Pricing has been the same no matter where I have looked. The dosing would be 2 capsules for her weight each day. So I would have to order the 90 count. I will try this and see how it goes. The reviews from all are promising if some of her sight is restored more than it is now I will be happy.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's no easy way to get old. Major turns 16 in november and I have noticed quite a few things in the last year. His legs are starting to shake. The arthritis is becoming pronounced and he is basically deaf (over the last 2 years). For Major vision/smell has become extremely important and the way we communicate. For you it's going to be sound/smell.

It's no different than looking after a special needs bird. Comfort and safety first. Try to avoid accidents and situations that you know will cause problems.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Our Jesse was diagnosed with juvenile cataracts by the age two. Unlike your dog he wasn't bumping into things and navigated the house without any problems. His eye sight was gradual so he learned how to move around the house. I simply did not recognize the cataracts until I took him to a groomer to use her tub to give him a bath in the winter. She mentioned his eyes looking cloudy and I told her that I thought it was the way the light reflected in his eyes. I made an appointment with a dog ophthalmologist and had his eyes checked. He had lost 70% of his vision. When I took him home I tossed a toy in the yard and he looked around like he was wondering where it went. Her estimate to remove the cataracts was 2300.00. More than we had to spend after building a house just before we brought him home. So we looked around and ended up going to the Veterinary School of Medicine in Raleigh, NC. They kept him over night and did the surgery to remove his cataracts and replaced his lenses. The first time he saw a bird fly up from the ground outside he almost jerked my arm off trying to chase it. His surgery was a success. We just couldn't see him being blind for the majority of his life. It still cost us two long trips and 1400.00 but it was worth it for him to be a happy dog. I don't know if I would do it for an older dog but I'm sure they could advise you. It's a great place and they are way more welcoming to you when you walk in the door than a regular people doctors office! They had a door greeter and she even offered us coffee. He lived to be 12 years old and then developed bone cancer in one of his front legs and it spread in a months time to his lungs and I'm sure other places. His death was so sad for both of us. He was such a beautiful guy. I've never taken any grooming lessons but I clipped him as I wanted him to look.... hours worth of work and he was such a patient guy. Lucky for him, we discovered his blindness a few short months before I found out I had cancer. We wouldn't have had the money to fix his eyes.. Here's Jesse, in all his glory. Younger and older..
Handsomejess1.jpg

Jesse 2009.JPG

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mockinbirdiva Jesse was a beautiful dog. So sorry for your loss.

My eldest dog, Geordie, has developed age-related cataracts. He can generally navigate well in the house but doesn't do great in unfamiliar territory and if he is outside in the very bright light it takes awhile for his eyes to adjust to the decreased light inside the house. He can't always find the door to his crate so I bang on the door so he can find it by sound. He loved to play ball and was excellent at catching and now he can't see the ball well enough to catch or to chase. He used to catch his treats, too, but no more. Have to be careful when I move my hands near his face because he sometimes gets scared by the movement. :( His groomer told me that she is having some difficulty grooming his face because of this.

@Love My Zons Hope you can find some supplements and/or interventions that will be beneficial for Yonah.

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Ramp with some railing? Odie (15) is starting to lose eyesight and his sniffer is slowing down too. He couldn't find the treat I put in his bed next to him. He lays facing the wall away from the room. It's odd but the vet at the time (few months ago) mentioned possible doggie dementia. He stares in the corner at times like he's stuck...and the dishwasher which is stainless steel. So I wonder if it's been his eyesight even though I asked about that first. We put in the ramp for Leo when he started to decline and just left it since Odie is next and it's better for their knees?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ramp with some railing? Odie (15) is starting to lose eyesight and his sniffer is slowing down too. He couldn't find the treat I put in his bed next to him. He lays facing the wall away from the room. It's odd but the vet at the time (few months ago) mentioned possible doggie dementia. He stares in the corner at times like he's stuck...and the dishwasher which is stainless steel. So I wonder if it's been his eyesight even though I asked about that first. We put in the ramp for Leo when he started to decline and just left it since Odie is next and it's better for their knees?

It could be his eyesight. Do you see clouding over his eye? Geordie does that every now and then almost as if he is trying to figure out what he is looking at. Based on Geordie's behaviors throughout the day this is eyesight related and not signs of dementia or senility.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
It could be his eyesight. Do you see clouding over his eye? Geordie does that every now and then almost as if he is trying to figure out what he is looking at. Based on Geordie's behaviors throughout the day this is eyesight related and not signs of dementia or senility.
Yes he has macular degeneration as I thought they were cataracts coming in. But he has also been our not so bright crayon amongst the pups in our lives.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes he has macular degeneration as I thought they were cataracts coming in. But he has also been our not so bright crayon amongst the pups in our lives.
Geordie was only diagnosed with cataracts. If he is one of your not so bright pups then maybe there is just a lot of confusion with the vision loss as opposed to dementia. Geordie does the best he can. He is a smart guy and figures things out but it is hard to watch him bump into things. I try to keep the position of objects in the house consistent.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
There's no easy way to get old. Major turns 16 in november and I have noticed quite a few things in the last year. His legs are starting to shake. The arthritis is becoming pronounced and he is basically deaf (over the last 2 years). For Major vision/smell has become extremely important and the way we communicate. For you it's going to be sound/smell.

It's no different than looking after a special needs bird. Comfort and safety first. Try to avoid accidents and situations that you know will cause problems.
I totally agree John and you know me I am on top of my dogs and cats each day after all these years with them. She is old there is no doubt, but we don't know exactly how old but 10 and a half years with us and adopted at maybe 3 or 4 or 5. She has me, all of me to the best of care she will have. And yes, taking more steps to ensure that she is not hurt by falling etc. Come winter with frost on the deck whoa is me. She will more than likely go out front with me, just 2 steps.

Our Jesse was diagnosed with juvenile cataracts by the age two. Unlike your dog he wasn't bumping into things and navigated the house without any problems. His eye sight was gradual so he learned how to move around the house. I simply did not recognize the cataracts until I took him to a groomer to use her tub to give him a bath in the winter. She mentioned his eyes looking cloudy and I told her that I thought it was the way the light reflected in his eyes. I made an appointment with a dog ophthalmologist and had his eyes checked. He had lost 70% of his vision. When I took him home I tossed a toy in the yard and he looked around like he was wondering where it went. Her estimate to remove the cataracts was 2300.00. More than we had to spend after building a house just before we brought him home. So we looked around and ended up going to the Veterinary School of Medicine in Raleigh, NC. They kept him over night and did the surgery to remove his cataracts and replaced his lenses. The first time he saw a bird fly up from the ground outside he almost jerked my arm off trying to chase it. His surgery was a success. We just couldn't see him being blind for the majority of his life. It still cost us two long trips and 1400.00 but it was worth it for him to be a happy dog. I don't know if I would do it for an older dog but I'm sure they could advise you. It's a great place and they are way more welcoming to you when you walk in the door than a regular people doctors office! They had a door greeter and she even offered us coffee. He lived to be 12 years old and then developed bone cancer in one of his front legs and it spread in a months time to his lungs and I'm sure other places. His death was so sad for both of us. He was such a beautiful guy. I've never taken any grooming lessons but I clipped him as I wanted him to look.... hours worth of work and he was such a patient guy. Lucky for him, we discovered his blindness a few short months before I found out I had cancer. We wouldn't have had the money to fix his eyes.. Here's Jesse, in all his glory. Younger and older..
View attachment 286827 Gorgeous Dog! I live within 20 min of NC State's Vet school. I used them with my cat for a radio iodine procedure 3 years ago. They are not cheap, but they are state of the art with things. I am going to be calling them tomorrow for my Sheltie with the cyst in his jaw. I am not going to the surgery appt tomorrow I am not at all comfortable with the Vet and the drive to where I would have gone- and I need a 2nd opinion and I am comfortable with NC State!

View attachment 286828
@Mockinbirdiva Jesse was a beautiful dog. So sorry for your loss.

My eldest dog, Geordie, has developed age-related cataracts. He can generally navigate well in the house but doesn't do great in unfamiliar territory and if he is outside in the very bright light it takes awhile for his eyes to adjust to the decreased light inside the house. He can't always find the door to his crate so I bang on the door so he can find it by sound. He loved to play ball and was excellent at catching and now he can't see the ball well enough to catch or to chase. He used to catch his treats, too, but no more. Have to be careful when I move my hands near his face because he sometimes gets scared by the movement. :( His groomer told me that she is having some difficulty grooming his face because of this.

@Love My Zons Hope you can find some supplements and/or interventions that will be beneficial for Yonah.
Yes, cloudy eyes but not as bad as you would think when I have seen old dogs with really clouded eyes. So it could be more than just cataracts. For now though I may try this supplement.

Dave and I did discuss him building a ramp. We may have to do this at some point. For now though she is aware that she has to go very slow down and she does. She's smart and on the way up, I count the steps to her gait and once she hits the landing she gets great praise from me.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I finally ordered the Ocu Glo supplement and started her on it last night. I can say she's looking around better, and seems better to my direction when called. Seeing her come up the stairs on the deck today she came up faster, seems more confident and not in a slow unknown fog so to say.

Just gave her 2 more with her food. If this helps her sight as it seems to I am going to say I am amazed. The other two can see, their eyes are older one being 13 or close to the oldest. The youngest my sheltie had one capsule this morning too. It is also for eye health. If everyone's eyes look brighter, I will report back. So far I am surprised by her demeanor with her bumping into this seems to be less.

Hopeful and will order more since 90 capsules will last a short time with my big Girl plus the other 2 getting one each.

Hopeful and just love my dogs!

Thank you for the suggestion. One Vet told me I'd be wasting money, yet she seems different this morning. :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sounds like you're doing a lot of great things. I had an elderly dog with eyesight issues, too. I think just talking to them a lot and whistling a lot so they know where you're at helps them feel secure. I also wouldn't baby them so much that they grow more insecure.

Good luck.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's great Claire! I wonder if I should try it with Geordie. I will check with his internal medicine specialist first since we have to be careful what we add to his diet.