• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time training!

convivial

Meeting neighbors
My three month old cockatiel Cinna is real comfortable with hands, with being carried and will step up when asked. However, I wanted to start target training her with a stick or something so that I could eventually start teaching her different tricks. However, I can’t find anything that she’s interested enough in for me to reward the behavior! I tried a shiny plastic chopstick, the back end of a spoon, and just nothing seems to get her attention. She’s much more focused on her surroundings or looking at things than exploring the item I hold up in front of her. I’m not sure what to do. I don’t have a training perch, should I start there first?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you watched any target training videos? I think there are some on you tube.

@BirdGuy21 ?

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I am personally following this one
Charlie has trouble focusing too... Don't give up!

convivial

Meeting neighbors
Have you watched any target training videos? I think there are some on you tube.

@BirdGuy21 ?
I am personally following this one
Charlie has trouble focusing too... Don't give up!
I’ve found a few videos and she’s been responding well! She will reach out and touch the chopstick now with the command, and knows what to expect a bit better now. I used a napkin holder as a perch away from her cage, but if she’s not sat on the makeshift perch she loses all focus. I have a desk away from her cage that I started training her at, and if she’s not on the perch, her attention just goes straight out the window. I assume this is something she’ll get the hang of with time?

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
That's awesome!! :) Yes I'm positive she will definitely get the hang of it!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I’ve found a few videos and she’s been responding well! She will reach out and touch the chopstick now with the command, and knows what to expect a bit better now. I used a napkin holder as a perch away from her cage, but if she’s not sat on the makeshift perch she loses all focus. I have a desk away from her cage that I started training her at, and if she’s not on the perch, her attention just goes straight out the window. I assume this is something she’ll get the hang of with time?[/QUOTE

I think she will. Also, I've always been told to keep the training sessions short and always try to end on a positive note. Also, end the session before the bird starts losing interest, etc

convivial

Meeting neighbors
I think she will. Also, I've always been told to keep the training sessions short and always try to end on a positive note. Also, end the session before the bird starts losing interest, etc
It’s been a bit difficult gauging when she’s getting tired of it, but usually I keep the sessions short! Ten mins or less and at least an hour apart. I tried introducing the target stick in her cage on her perch so that she could move a bit more to follow the stick.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Try 3-5 minute training sessions instead, and you can try every hour or even 2-3 times a day. Even once a day is fine! May not learn it as fast but that's okay!