• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time tiel owner HELP

Nikki Campbell

Moving in
..I just got a pair of cockatiels almost 4 days ago and I feel like I've already messed up the initial bonding process...could you pleaseeee help me and give me alittle bit of insight on how you were able to start bonding with your cockatiels ? Mine are babies were born in November..and they are supposed to know how to step up and and were hand fed ..but they are so frightened of my hands ever since I brought them home ..I've followed all of my instructions and knowledge that I was told but I feel like they hate me :(

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Hey Nikki! I'm pretty new to cockatiels too but I hope I can help at least a tiny bit. Patience is key in everything when it comes to bird taming or training! My 'tiel was already pretty warmed up to me when I brought him home since I visited and spent time with him regularly at the breeder. But from what I read, it can take 3-5 weeks for them to get used to you, it depends on the bird. Spend time around their cage, have it in the room you're in, read, talk or sing to them, slowly put your hand closer to their cage if they are reacting positively, all super gently! If they seem scared, give them their space. Once they get used to the above, slowly move towards putting your hand in their cage and teaching them to step up, as long as they do not seem too stressed. Patience, patience. I am certain they don't hate you! It is just a really big adaptation. You can do it, with patience and care! Good luck and keep us updated! :)

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
It also depends on the hand feeding method the breeders are using. If they are syringe fed, they usually don't get to spend as much time with humans than spoon fed birds, so they may be less used to them. All birds can be tamed eventually, though :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They don't hate you. They are just stressed and scared because they are in a new environment with unfamiliar people and objects. Don't force them to step up or come out of their cage. Let their behavior guide you. Drop treats into the food dish as you walk by, sit near them and talk to them or even read to them. Offer them some treats with your hand if they don't back off. Patience is the key. Congrats, btw, and welcome to AA. Take some photos of them when you get a chance and if they are comfortable with you doing that. What are their names?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
They don't hate you. They are just stressed and scared because they are in a new environment with unfamiliar people and objects. Don't force them to step up or come out of their cage. Let their behavior guide you. Drop treats into the food dish as you walk by, sit near them and talk to them or even read to them. Offer them some treats with your hand if they don't back off. Patience is the key. Congrats, btw, and welcome to AA. Take some photos of them when you get a chance and if they are comfortable with you doing that. What are their names?
I second all of this...they don't hate you....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As everyone said- patience. :) Try to move at their pace. Don't grab them or force them out. They're scared and need to settle in. Just spend time sitting with them and talking to them. Play some music for them or leave the TV on for them if they're home alone during the day. Silence in the wild can mean danger. Then as they settle a bit more, you can try to start hand feeding them some treats. Also, watch to make sure they're eating and drinking okay. Sometimes newly weaned cockatiels can regress when stressed. I'm guessing they're only 8-10 weeks old?

Nikki Campbell

Moving in
Thank all of yall very much ! I'm am definitely calmed down and a little more confident! I have wanted cockatiels for over 4 years ..and I'm just really scared I'm going to mess things up and they arnt going to want to interact with me is all ...thank you..thank you ...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...what are the names of your little ones...after all, we have to welcome them here...;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Button and Pigeon! :)

A couple of cuties there...;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Tiel Feathers