• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time out of cage!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've had my blue masked lovebird, Aoife, for about three weeks and I think she's ready to maybe come out of the cage. She's still hand shy so my tactic is to open the cage and then "ignore" her. We'll stay in the spare bedroom, the bird room although she's currently my only bird. Her flight feathers were clipped when I got her. I'm looking for some suggestions? I'm a first time bird owner so I'm really not sure what to do with this but she definitely needs to get out of her cage, just on her own terms. I was thinking maybe she'd be willing to step up on a dowel instead of my hand..?

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Linnie doesn't like to step up from her cage so I just open the door. Now she comes out immediately but when she was little it took her some time to decide. I like your tactic. Just open the door and read a book nearby. But trying a dowel sounds good too. Just don't chase her around the cage. :) Or try putting something she likes just outside the door? I guess see how it goes.
IMG_5241 2.JPG

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My Linnie doesn't like to step up from her cage so I just open the door. Now she comes out immediately but when she was little it took her some time to decide. I like your tactic. Just open the door and read a book nearby. But trying a dowel sounds good too. Just don't chase her around the cage. :) Or try putting something she likes just outside the door? I guess see how it goes.
View attachment 287770
Dona, she's adorable! Is she the natural color or olive?

She loves the El Paso Nutriberries so I'll sit one outside, she's currently in a tabletop cage so she can come out without too much worry about her poor clipped wings.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is natural green, just like her friends in the wild. :) Gigi is a big fan of Nutri-berries. Good luck tempting your little one.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I'd say she was ready! She did really well.

Attachments

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww yay! She's a cutie.