• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First molt? Age?

joshelstad

Moving in
Real Name
Joshua E Shelstad
I recently adopted two young Pastelface Lutino Cockatiel’s. When I got them, the person told me they were 2 months old. I’ve had them about a month, so they would be 3 months, supposedly.
I can tell they are on the young side, but they recently started molting. There are feathers all over and I can see feathers coming off them. Plus, they are preening like crazy and new feathers are appearing on their clipped wings. (I did not clip them).
I read that Cockatiel’s don't go through their first molt until 6 months plus in age. Could they be older then? Or perhaps not molting? I definitely think they are molting

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
I owned two albinos since they were 3 weeks old and they first moulted when they were 4 months,5 months old.Not the average 6 months.Every bird differs and 6 months is usually the time when MOST cockatiels moult,but not ALL.Also 6 months could also be a average age of cockatiel moulting age.

Check your cockatiel's wings to see if new flight feathers appear ( if yes,confirmed moult,if no,wait and check) and their eyes to see if there are any white showing.From what you typed,I would tell you that there is a 99.99% of them moulting.Do get a cuttlebone and mineral blocks for their future feather growing process if you haven't.