• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First lambs are here

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
the first 3 lambs of spring were born over the weekend at Uncle's farm. the rest of the babies are due within 2 weeks. with 150 ewes; he is going to be very, very busy for at least a month or better. we raise Rommney sheep. I'm hoping to have pictures to share once I can get into my email. Uncle said that the ewe was very upset in the paddock and was upsetting all the other ewes. He moved her into the barn and into a 'jug' (birthing pen) on Sat. he use Wi Fi cams to watch inside of the barn. she was still walking around and laying down with great abandon. he went out to help her. turns out the first baby was head back and delaying it's own birth. once the head was down and resting on it's fore legs, she was born quickly. the other 2 behind her were born with in minutes. one lamb will be a bottle fed and for the time being is in the house living in XX large dog crate. ( this is NOT my idea, I'm of the personal belief that sheep/ lambs need to be out in the barn. not in the house. the barn is heated and we have special fencing that keeps the bottle fed babies within enlarged jug. besides that the entire house takes on very barny/ sheep smell with in hours.) Suffa, our guardian dog has already washed the 2 babies making them his charges. he washes all the babies at least once, that way he feels that they are his as much as their mama's babies.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Sheep and lambs are my favourite. I'm so jealous. Pictures!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
like I said I can't get into my main email right now. something with this computer is making it impossible. it's making me CRAZY:bash::bash:. Uncle said the one in the house is rambunctious and has gotten out of the crate several times, thank goodness for baby gates. he is going to get some bungee cords to keep the little one in the crate. he has helpers that will be there once more ewes going into labor. most of the time we let them birth on their own, but if they get into trouble we are 'Johnny on the spot' to help them. it's much easier now with the WI FI set up to keep a eye on the barn and what is going on. the first couple of years we slept in the barn in bunk beds to be there to help. we all end up with bronchitis and some type of skin infections. once Uncle set up trail cams that help some but Wi Fi set up let us at least get some sleep at night. everything that goes on in the barn goes to a lap top and I pad.
here are the type of sheep we raise:
Romney sheep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
we are at 148 lambs as of this evening. mostly twins and 2 sets of triplets. 2 bottle fed lambs.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Looking forward to see pics of all new lambs. :wacky::p:heart:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
we have 150 ewes so if you figure twins for each ewe that 300 lambs. he has a lot of helpers and that is blessing. his room mate is helping along with her working 10 to 12 hour days. there are 2 guys next door that help out when they can. his room mate has a younger sister that is going to help out to. most of the time ewes deliver on their own with no problems. but once in a while you get a big fat mix up of heads, legs and bodies and then you either sort it out gently or call the vet. but each vet call is at least 90 bucks so you try to work out and deliver live babies.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
the first 3 lambs of spring were born over the weekend at Uncle's farm. the rest of the babies are due within 2 weeks. with 150 ewes; he is going to be very, very busy for at least a month or better. we raise Rommney sheep. I'm hoping to have pictures to share once I can get into my email. Uncle said that the ewe was very upset in the paddock and was upsetting all the other ewes. He moved her into the barn and into a 'jug' (birthing pen) on Sat. he use Wi Fi cams to watch inside of the barn. she was still walking around and laying down with great abandon. he went out to help her. turns out the first baby was head back and delaying it's own birth. once the head was down and resting on it's fore legs, she was born quickly. the other 2 behind her were born with in minutes. one lamb will be a bottle fed and for the time being is in the house living in XX large dog crate. ( this is NOT my idea, I'm of the personal belief that sheep/ lambs need to be out in the barn. not in the house. the barn is heated and we have special fencing that keeps the bottle fed babies within enlarged jug. besides that the entire house takes on very barny/ sheep smell with in hours.) Suffa, our guardian dog has already washed the 2 babies making them his charges. he washes all the babies at least once, that way he feels that they are his as much as their mama's babies.

We just had a new lamb 3 days ago, we have a few Katahdin. Congrats on the new babies I just think lambs are the cutest.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
oh aren't they so sweet, I love when they are tiny. and even more when we have bottle fed one.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
oh aren't they so sweet, I love when they are tiny. and even more when we have bottle fed one.
No bottle feeding this little girl, that pic was taken 5 minutes after she was born...going to get some more pics now that she is up on her feet and playing.
Last year her mother had twin boys, I did have to help feed the first three days, then they were fine after that.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
when you have 100 ewes that mostly have twins and triplets you have to be ready to bottle feed.