• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Flight Help

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
I want to start letting Vanya out of his cage during the day. Or at least for a couple hours, so he has a chance to fly.

He is comfortable being here and I am not sure the best way to allow him to go out.

I have to be out a lot for the next week, but after that I want to try this. I am wondering if to simply open the door of the cage and see if he will come out? I thought about trying this in the bathroom, but he has never been in there. So, I thought it might be smoother if he can simply be in the room he is in now, which is the family room.

I want to allow lots of extra time for me, in case he won't go back in.

His bath attaches to the side of the cage, so he does come out to that area, so he knows about that.

He seems to be much friendlier, and beginning to trust me a bit, running on my arm when I reach in to do things (change a treat stick out, clean a bit, etc.) His wing feathers have all grown in now. (He was clipped when I got him)

Any advise would be appreciated.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
When I first started letting Chirp out, he didn't really understand he could hang out, so I'd have to get him to step up and put him on his play areas.

Now I just open the cage door and let him do his thing. Some days he'll stay inside, others he'll go find a comfy spot to hang out, and sometimes he'll fly laps around my room. I just let him do whatever he wants. I get him back in his cage if I'll be leaving the room or going out of the house.

So I would say just open the door and see what he does, maybe offer some bribery in the form of treats. Provide out of cage areas (swings, boings, play stands, etc). Or even attaching perches and toys to the top of the cage could be fun, that's how I started out.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you are in a safe appropriate room I would just fling the door open and see what happens. If he is feeling secure he will come out when he is ready to explore the other side of the cage door.
If he has not yet learnt to fly then I would expect a few bumps and crashes early on.

Can't wait to read what happens for his first time out.

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
I opened the door to his cage for about 2 hours. I turned the cage to face the room more. Which was a 180 degree turn. So, he was rather upset that I had made it so the way he had before to see his cyber buddies was on the other side, not that there is not a perch on the other side. He is a creature of habit., or seems to be.

So, now I moved things over to the other side, and gave him treats. He got on my hand a couple of times, but I didn't try to bring him out. I am sure that he would have moved toward me on my hand. If he was ready.

Now that things have been moved so he has his favorite toys and perch on the side where he plays - so it is in the same corner, southwest corner of the cage. instead of with the new cage orientation the northeast corner. He is playing with them, he did make sure they were all there. Plus a new one. And, I put his favorite swing to sleep on in the southeast corner.

I do have play stations. Three of them for him. And a Boing.

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
With the assistance of his new friend, I finally got Vanya out for his first flight. He did have a few bumps and not so graceful landings along the way. After a few minutes, he was pretty tired. He did learn from his bumps and second lap around the room did much better at navigating.

He was not out to fly very long, because he really got tired. After a not so graceful landing behind a decorative box, I scooped him up - he was not thrilled with this idea, but at the same time was glad to get back to his cage for a rest.

Him seeing the new budgie out and about gave him the confidence to try it for himself. Except his wings are not clipped and Alex's are, so he did fly much better than his new friend. I am so happy that he got to fly today. I am sure that tomorrow he will be more eager and ready to get out and try again.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Well done all of you! So glad to hear you have had some success. Soon he will be telling you all the time to let him out for a fly!

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
I would first clicker train then target train before letting loose. Once the target training is mastered getting him back in his cage is a piece of cake, especially if a treat is involved.

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
Actually, I had worked a good bit with Vanya with the clicker. I did need to get him out from where he crashed though. Me just grabbing him is an extremely rare occurrence. I have been teaching him to come to me, which he does normally very well. I like the clicker, and of course with him, the highest value treat is millet, which he only gets from me.

I like the clicker because it helps to communicate with him. I am hoping for him to learn many things. He is also extremely excited right now to have a friend. But he will come over when I call him, and no he does not want the new guy to get treats. l:hehe: