• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First egg!

icecream

Sitting on the front steps
My lovebirds had their first egg this morning! I went to work and was thinking of how to handle the egg(s), how to not let them hatch... came home in the afternoon and saw the egg moved from the top part of the cage (a bird bath they tried to use as a nest) to the bottom of the cage! They have no interest to sit on it.... (this morning, my hen was just looking at the egg, not sitting on it too...)

I think they just don't know what to do with the egg?! My birds were mating about a month ago and have not been mating for a few weeks now. My hen has been making paper strips like crazy all the time.... Maybe when she lays more eggs she'll realize what she's supposed to do??

Are there birds that simply have no interest in sitting on their eggs for their whole life?? :rofl:
If so, it will be easy for me to just pick up the eggs every time!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
If you have no intentions to raise any babies, then discard of that egg. If the female has no interest, than it makes it alot easier to remove them. ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some birds tend to not sit on eggs until the whole clutch is laid so that they incubate at the same rate :)

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Don't get rid of the egg. Wait and see what happens

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

icecream

Thanks! I found that the egg was broken and then I removed it. She didn't lay another egg this morning, but I guess she will sometime today...
Both she and I are so inexperienced with this egg laying process :faint:
I will replace her eggs with dummy eggs when I see the next ones :sneaky:

icecream

Still no 2nd egg after 2 days~ I think my hen is slow... it took her a month after mating to lay her 1st egg... I was thinking if she was egg binding.. so I checked her and she really has no such symptoms :ballerina:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Not all hens lay a second egg

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
i heard we need to give them calcium supplements to help in laying ... I have love birds .. I haven't gotten them yet but plan to

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
i heard we need to give them calcium supplements to help in laying ... I have love birds .. I haven't gotten them yet but plan to
Under normal circumstance you don't need to do anything except feed them a highly nutritious diet and keep them fit (fly fly fly).

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
I try to give them a variety of foods, some they eat and some they don't ... I have the parents in separate cage now. they the parents only like spinach as a veg so it's really nutritious and I am trying to feed the young birds some other things like blueberries and varous fruits, veg etc so they aren't as limited as the parents .. they like mealy worms the babies The mom was stopping young ones from eating from the food bowl so now they are weaned.. older ones in any case.
spinach has lots of stuff in it including calcium ... I just looked it up.. plus I put egg shells in there too
Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids),manganese, folate, magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin E,calcium, potassium and vitamin C. It is a very good source of dietary fiber,phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc, protein and choline.

icecream

She's laid 3 eggs so far! I think she's a healthy little feisty hen ;)
I boiled the eggs and let her sit on it...
Looking at buying dummy eggs for the future... looks like there is quite a big price range out there~

I've given them powdered chicken egg shells (I use a coffee grinder so that the shell can become powder) added to their food... and tried giving a wide variety of different food for nutrients too.

I wish to see the babies, but I know I don't have the time to take care of them for now... so I can't let them hatch... :(
But if we let them hatch all the eggs, whoa.. the world will be infested with birds ;P

In a few years, after I learned to breed them, and have the time to, then I might try to raise a few babies ;)

JenBirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
yeah if your birds don't know what to do ... . I am a novice at this and with my momma and daddy bird, but if yours do not have an interest.. I guess boiling would be the thing. I am learning and getting help on this forum to deal with them, but have time since I am retired! But it is time consuming. I can't bear to stop them. My parents are okay but the mom pecks them so have dad looking after that department of getting them totally weaned. You need to spend time with them each day.. in order to breed tame birds.. which means hand feeding them after 3 weeks with the mom. Just so you know for the future should you decide to breed them. I learned the lesson the hard way. I have two younguns that are wild and one only that is tame
that's because the tame one is the runt and I spent more time with him/her because he's my favorite ... So now I learned that hand feeding and handling them after 3 weeks is the best way.

Last edited: