1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent First Egg

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by enigma731, 1/10/18.

1. enigma731

enigma731 Sprinting down the street

So, there must be something in the air. My female tiel Roo, who is at least 7, just laid her first egg. She did it just fine-- was bouncing around hyper, I turned my back, and about 30 seconds later heard something fall to the bottom of the cage-- an egg!!

It looks normal and well-formed and she seems fine, if tired. I know that she needs to keep it until she abandons it, and I'll be getting her some fake ones.

My main question is, what do I need to get for her in terms of calcium? She eats Roudybush, Volkman seed, and millet (plus Nutriberries until this week). She'll take bites of veggies but isn't great.

What can I do tonight/tomorrow to give her the best chances of doing well with a next egg, if one is coming?

2. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
  3. enigma731

I know it's kind of late but it would be great if people could chime in while there's still time to order things tonight.

4. Donna turner

Donna turner Sprinting down the street

Donna
    If you have a cuddle bone you can shave some off and sprinkle it on her food. Also you can crush boiled eggshells to give her

5. enigma731

I have cuttlebone that's a couple years old. Would that be safe to use? Otherwise I don't think I'll be able to get anything new until tomorrow afternoon.

6. Hjarta5

Hjarta5 Jogging around the block Tailgating Party!

Jennifer
    For eggshells, wash, bake, and then crush them so you can sprinkle it on her food.

I wouldn't use old cuttlebone, but have bought my Quaker a mineral perch that she can gnaw on during breeding season.

7. enigma731

Is getting her supplements by tomorrow okay, then? I imagine she should be relatively okay on calcium since she's on pellets...

Hjarta5 likes this.
  8. Hjarta5

Jennifer
    I think that's fine. For me, I'm just paranoid and extra watchful when mine gets into egg laying mode because of egg binding fears. It's usually when I call my vet the most

9. enigma731

Yeah, I'm worried about that too because this is my first experience with it, but I'm hopeful she'll be fine since she had NO trouble with this egg. Literally laid it while playing.

10. enigma731

How long is it normal for there to be a bit of blood in the poop after an egg? I know I'm going to be paranoid about that too. (She's already back to playing and it's only been 2 hours.)

11. Hjarta5

Jennifer
    When mine laid her first egg, I wasn't home and only saw a little blood on the egg. She was not interested in it and was going about her business as usual. I haven't seen it since.

Not sure how much or how frequent she has blood in her stool so not sure if this is emergency vet time. If just a trace immediately following the egg, I would just monitor and check in with your vet first thing tomorrow morning.

12. enigma731

There was some on the egg and a trace on the first poop after. I definitely don't think it's an emergency, I was just curious.

13. parrotluv

parrotluv Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

A little evidence of a tiny blood can be normal. Next egg is usuallyevery second day, so expect the next one to be on Friday. Hard boiled egg mashed with egg shell can help her calcium if she will eat it

14. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Does she fly and what do you feed her?

You're better off putting a little supplement in her food during this period if she's a seed bird. Tomorrow is fine. Mainly because cuttle bone is a very low grade source of calcium and if she's lacking in any any of the other enabling ingredients she won't even use it.

This is a "complete" supplement that provides the right things in the right amount. Do not over supplement and discontinue after the cycle has finished.

Prime Vitamin Mineral Amino Acid Supplement for Birds - Hari

15. enigma731

Right now her staples are Roudybush and Volkman seed. She was getting Nutriberries but I'm holding off right now. She is flighted but doesn't fly well or much because she belonged to an animal hoarder as a baby who kept her in a severely overcrowded cage and she never fledged properly.

16. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

I use this as a Ca supplement:
    Calcium Powder
    I've used it with birds during the egg laying cycle and my BFA gets it every few days based on recommendation of one of his past vets.

17. enigma731

Right now her poops are very watery -- I'm assuming that's from all the stress hormones associated with laying? She's eating and bouncing around the cage like a little ball of energy so I'm like 99% sure she's fine, but I'm also an anxious bird mom going through egg stuff for the first time.

parrotluv likes this.
  18. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Droppings generally seem to be more watery during the egg laying cycle.

parrotluv likes this.
  19. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    If she eats pellets she really doesn't need a supplement. That's what pellets are.

Lady Jane likes this.
  20. enigma731

They're only about 40% of her diet though. Do you think that's enough?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)