• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First egg hatched!

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
these chicks looks like there no longer being fed you might half to handfed

Comet

Strolling the yard
The photos were taken in the morning, so their crops weren't yet full. I am having to hand feed fully now, rather than co-parenting like I was originally hoping.
Unfortunately, the youngest chick passed away, most likely due to getting too cold... Sekhmet started spending more time outside of the nest. She's with her sister now, and I have the chicks in a brooder. The three of them are all still doing well.

*Edit*
After feeding time! Quiet, happy babies.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This keeps getting sadder :(

I like to use (wood shavings?) for the chicks, like the stuff used for little hamsters etc. That kitchen paper doesn´t look comfortable.
So you have those 3 chicks now? or is that little one the one who didn´t make it?

Maybe try and let her visit the chicks for a while each day if she´s interested.

Glad they´re in a brooder and getting looked after now. Not ideal but it is what it is you know, nothings ever perfect and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Also, I hope you are doing ok I should imagine it´s not easy dealing with so much loss all at once.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Aw, I'm sorry you lost the father and one of the chicks. I hope they all pull through !

I would add some sort of bedding like pine shavings to your brooder. It will help keep them warm and comfortable, and CLEAN! It will absorb extra moisture from poop, and will save you from picking dried poops off of each chick.

Comet

Strolling the yard
There are three chicks now, yes. They all ate well this morning!
Wood shavings have been added, also, thanks for the tips!
I am doing okay, I'm just trying to focus on keeping these ones healthy in memory of those who have passed.

Comet

Strolling the yard
Thank you.
Hand feeding continues to go well! The little one is starting to grow feathers, and the older ones are getting a much better hang of feeding from a syringe.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
These birds look a little overfed. That is a heck of a bulge : 20190313_180640.jpg

Glad to see them all growing feathers! Does the hen visit them?

Last edited:

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Figured I'd post another update!
We're spoon-feeding them now. It gets a little messy, but the chicks like it a lot better, and we always clean them up afterwards.
What formula are you using? And are you letting the crops completely empty.?

Comet

Strolling the yard
Tropican hand-feeding formula.
I do let their crops completely empty every night, yes.

They're all little pigs, the little one especially! The problem with him is that he'll keep trying to eat until he's completely full, which leads to him pumping his crop full of air if he doesn't feel he's had enough. Better to stuff him full of food! I haven't had any problems with slow crop, either.

She's seen them a few times, just for short periods. She seems to be fully trusting them with us now, and doesn't appear extremely interested in interacting with them, just watches them from up on her perch.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Feed the little guy a little less, more often.

Aww hope she´s doing ok now with her sister ❤

Comet

Strolling the yard
She is! We're going to set up the Critter Nation cage for all five of our adult budgies again tomorrow, so she'll get to be with both of her sisters, one other girl, and one other boy.

Comet

Strolling the yard
Fifteen days later! I am blown away by their progress. Kron (yellow and green) has been eating seed mix since yesterday, and has been nibbling on pellets today! Another huge step, he flew for the first time this afternoon, with no crashes, and no loss of height! Both he and his sister, Neera, have tried oat grass, as well. Bruton, the youngest, is starting to show green just like his brother, but we are still eagerly waiting to see his colours more clearly. We will be buying them a larger, playtop cage in about a week. All of them still eagerly accept the baby formula, however Kron and Neera have slowed down in the amount they take, and are endlessly seeking opportunities to explore!

Attachments

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Ya done a good job...:bighug:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
They are adorable!!!

Comet

Strolling the yard
Thank you!! Neera's grey colouring was so unexpected, but she is so gorgeous! Kron is a perfect blend of his parents, green from his Lutino mom, with the light mutation of his colour from Comet. Here's a better photo of the little guy, Bruton.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Nice to hear the chicks are doing well :)

They are so adorable ❤

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They are looking so beautiful ♥

I am very sorry for Comet. He was a lovely bird. Even though he can't see he little ones grow I am sure he would have been proud to see them now.

Keep up the great work :hug8: