• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First egg hatched!

Comet

Strolling the yard
I went down to check on Comet and Sekhmet today, to be greeted by tiny baby chirps! Sure enough, my ears weren't playing tricks on me.
Comet has been very attentive to Sekhmet, and her to the nest.
I couldn't get any photos of the hen today, but she is lutino, for those who don't know. Also pictured with Comet in my avatar :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awww - cute eggies! Can't wait to see more photos after some hatch! Love that cage, may I ask what kind it is?

Comet

Strolling the yard
I'll keep posting pictures! :)
It's a Critter Nation cage. Usually for rats and other small mammals, but it works great for birds, too! My pet mouse is currently housed in the lower half of the cage. I had to do some minor modifications to separate the two halves completely. The cage comes with an optional divider, with a space in the corner of it for animals to travel up and down.
MidWest Deluxe Critter Nation Double Unit Small Animal Cage (Model 162) Includes 2 leak-Proof Pans, 2 Shelves, 3 Ramps w/ Ramp Covers & 4 locking Wheel Casters, Measures 36"L x 24"W x 63"H Inches, Ideal for Dagus, Rats, Ferrets, Sugar Gliders: Amazon.ca: Pet Supplies

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Congratulations :)

Also your quail is adorable ❤

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats!!! So cute!!!

Comet

Strolling the yard
Another update!
Wow, babies grow fast. Feathers are starting to show, the chirps are getting louder, and the chicks are getting bigger! I'm not 100% sure how many chicks vs eggs there are now, but they are being very well looked after by mom and dad, and the littlest ones have the older ones for extra warmth. I will check in on them again soon to see just how many have hatched, and to make sure the little ones are still getting lots of food.
Comet is in the nest now for a good portion of the day, feeding Sekhmet and possibly even helping feed the chicks. Crazy how much food one bird has to consume for his entire family!

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
When my chicks were young I would check them everyday to make sure they were being fed. If Comet and Sekhmet will let you, it can´t hurt to check in on them, you will be able to count them while you check their crops.
Also, that´s a really nice nesting box. I might try and find something like that for my Adelie to sleep in. :)

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
You'll also need a way to clean that nest box out. It's going to get very dirty, very fast! Once the chicks get older, you'll likely need to clean it in the morning and at night.

Comet

Strolling the yard
There are four beautiful chicks so far. <3
Comet unexpectedly passed away today. Sekhmet is a single mother now... We will be doing our very best to help her care for them.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sekhmet must be so upset. Does she act like she's pining?

Comet

Strolling the yard
She seems a little stressed, but she's still spending time in the nest, caring for her young ones. I can't imagine how difficult this is for her :(

I cleaned out the nestbox and replaced the shavings after hand feeding <3

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh NO! That´s so awful. I´m deeply sorry for your loss! Poor Sekhmet. It must be the worst time for this to happen.
I will be thinking of you and your birds ❤

If Comet wasn´t old, it is possible he starved to death after spending all of his time feeding Sekhmet.
You will need to support her now, as she will have to find a way to eat and keep her chicks warm- she can´t do both. Maybe you could put a little container of food next to her in her nest? And bring the water right up and attach it to the cage right outside her nest door.

Comet

Strolling the yard
Thank you <3
I was wondering about the possibility that he starved... He was only about two years old. It is horrible timing, and he was such a lovely budgie.
I moved both of her food dishes close to the nest, and I'll move her water, too.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The likelyhood is high. Especially if this is their first clutch.

Will you be keeping any of these chicks? It may be a nice way to honor Comet considering it seems he gave his life for them.

I can´t stop thinking about your hen. I just feel so sad for her...

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh how awful that your male passed away. Will hope good thoughts for Mommy and babies.

Comet

Strolling the yard
I will definitely be keeping at least two of them, and finding good homes for the rest. I have a lovely family on hold who will be wanting a couple of chicks, as well as a trusted coworker who might be interested. I can keep any of the chicks with me until I'm sure they have good places to go <3

It is their first clutch, though Sekhmet has laid eggs before that weren't fertile. She brooded them faithfully, nonetheless. I was so proud of her for finally becoming a mom, and having a wonderful mate with her, but I have faith in her to continue doing her very best without him, and am so honoured to be able to help her. Comet is still loved, and his family will carry on in his memory.