• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First bird as second's surrogate?

Cockatango

Meeting neighbors
I have a 10 month old cockatiel who I'm pretty sure is a girl. If I were to introduce a second bird to keep her company, I've heard it's better to introduce one of the same species. But when she begins to lay eggs, what if I put an egg in there... of a completely unrelated bird?
Say if I were to put a lovebird egg in a cockatiel's nest, is the mother likely to adopt it as her own? Would the size of the bird affect this? Say having a budgie egg compared an indian ringneck.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Not all female birds will lay eggs unless in the right circumstances. Are you planning to try to get a fertile egg for her to adopt essentially?

Cockatango

Meeting neighbors
Not all female birds will lay eggs unless in the right circumstances. Are you planning to try to get a fertile egg for her to adopt essentially?
I'm not sure yet - she's still pretty young and I don't expect anything to happen for a while. My current thoughts are that if she does end up laying an egg (whether encouraged or by chance), would she adopt another species of bird?

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I'm not sure yet - she's still pretty young and I don't expect anything to happen for a while. My current thoughts are that if she does end up laying an egg (whether encouraged or by chance), would she adopt another species of bird?

I guess its possible but its also possible she hatches out the baby and rejects it after its born. I also don't know where you'd get a fertile egg from another species. Encouraging her to lay eggs is going to put her at risk for a lot of health concerns. If you're looking at potentially a lovebird why not rescue one or get one from a breeder? I'd imagine it'll be cheaper and put your bird at less of a health risk.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I guess its possible but its also possible she hatches out the baby and rejects it after its born. I also don't know where you'd get a fertile egg from another species. Encouraging her to lay eggs is going to put her at risk for a lot of health concerns. If you're looking at potentially a lovebird why not rescue one or get one from a breeder? I'd imagine it'll be cheaper and put your bird at less of a health risk.
I agree- And even though they may be of different species, it is possible for them to bond and be able to spend time together outside of the cage, supervised :) My GCC and my Gold Capped are friends and enjoy one another's company. They will gladly share treats/preen one another when out of their respective cages.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm not sure why you would want to have her sit on an egg and adopt a chick from another bird?

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I am also unsure why you would want to do that. But my guess is yes she would.
Ever of a cuckoo bird? The common cuckoo lays eggs in other birds nests, and then those birds raise the baby cuckoos, which are normally larger then the bird itself.

I don't see why she won't care for it, but that won't stop her from rejecting it. She could even reject her own eggs, she's more likely to reject eggs and/or young if shes a new parent