• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First-Aid Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm going to prepare a first aid kit for Java and I wanted to ask what I should add to my checklist. I'm starting from scratch. Can never be too prepared.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
My first aid kit includes:

- Iodine solution
- Styptic powder
- Locking forceps
- Nail clippers
- Scissors
- Gauze pads
- Vet wrap
- Cotton balls
- Q-tips
- Vet phone numbers/emergency contacts

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
From the vet get

Baytril,
Metacam,
Metaclopramide
Milk thistle if liver problems
Vitamin K for nosebleed

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Superclot which saved LScoot’s life after a fractured foot.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I also include a towel so it's available and clean, baby food, and powerded pedialtye

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I keep plain unbleached white all-purpose flour in a little spice jar in my kit. I use it to stop bleeding, works like a charm. Pretty sure it saved Chirp's life when he flew into a wall and we had to drive an hour and a half one-way to the ER. I also keep a water bottle filled with water, for rinsing things or filling a bowl.

I'd add whatever treat your bird likes, too. I use millet. Easy to eat, good if they won't eat anything else, also a good treat just for being a good boy (like getting a lollipop at the dr.)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Question, the Pedialyte should be the unflavored kind, right? My dad is going out and he's running to walgreens to pick up some stuff for my first aid kit :)

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Question, the Pedialyte should be the unflavored kind, right? My dad is going out and he's running to walgreens to pick up some stuff for my first aid kit :)

Yes. Just be aware of expiration dates on things like pedialyte, handfeeding formula, baby food, and even iodine. Buy small so you're not having to throw away a lot once they expire.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yes. Just be aware of expiration dates on things like pedialyte, handfeeding formula, baby food, and even iodine. Buy small so you're not having to throw away a lot once they expire.
Okay, cool. Good to know.

And I have another question, what other things can you use to clean a wound, aside from iodine? I ask because I'm deathly allergic to iodine (like, "stop breathing and almost die" "someone grab my epipen" kind of allergic) and I don't think it would help anyone if I keeled over in an emergency situation. Alternatives would be excellent.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I need to go over all of this myself but pillow cases are getting added to mine. That way I have something I can grab them with, but also if there is a fire, or something else in the air I can put them in the pillow cases as a filter and get them out.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Okay, cool. Good to know.

And I have another question, what other things can you use to clean a wound, aside from iodine? I ask because I'm deathly allergic to iodine (like, "stop breathing and almost die" "someone grab my epipen" kind of allergic) and I don't think it would help anyone if I keeled over in an emergency situation. Alternatives would be excellent.

A saline solution would work just as well. I'd avoid hydrogen peroxide and alcohol, because they're quite harsh. A mild cleanser like saline is easy to get a hold of and will clean without doing any harm to healthy tissues, and will hold you over until the wound can be properly cleaned and dressed by a vet.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)

A saline solution would work just as well. I'd avoid hydrogen peroxide and alcohol, because they're quite harsh. A mild cleanser like saline is easy to get a hold of and will clean without doing any harm to healthy tissues, and will hold you over until the wound can be properly cleaned and dressed by a vet.
Ok, awesome! Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.