• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fireworks Question

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
We don't have air conditioning in our house, but we managed to keep it around 80 or lower so the birds are safe, plus I mist them during the day and they haven't shown any signs of stress either. We open the door and windows and night to let the cool air in, which helps cool everything off and keeps the house cooler. With people setting fireworks off all around us, should I wait till they're all done before I open them up? I've read that fireworks are toxic to them and I don't want to hurt them. I can hear them in the distance but no one is setting them off right around us, but people were earlier. Basically I just need to know how far away they have to be and how long to wait till after people stopped close to us to make sure it's safe for them?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Not sure.... @Macawnutz @Hankmacaw. Thoughts?

My personal thought is if you smell smoke, it's not good for parrots.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Keep the windows closed tonight. Some idiot might set off fireworks at 11pm after you’re asleep.
I'm actually usually up till 3 am since I sleep on my husband's shift, but you're right. My neighbors were setting them off from 10 am to 7 pm already. This is the first year aerial fireworks are legal in my state so people are going nuts.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, smoke or any other volatile organic compound is dangerous - may not show up immediately, but accumulation over a period of time takes a terrible toll on their respiratory system.

I wish that everyone on this forum would watch this video - then they would have a better understanding of the delicacy and complexity of their bird's respiratory system.

The Avian Respiratory System (Great Video) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@Hankmacaw my 5 year olds grandson watched that video the entire way through...... not a moment was missed. The 3 year old was shifting weight but saw his older brother motionless and would settle down again.

Have to keep the little guys educated about grandma's parrots.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Yes......I ended up leaving a nightlight on and checking my birds often last night up until about 1 am. Not because of the smell and smoke but because the loud explosions were the worst in several years. I had all windows closed but the noise shook the windows. Birds did fine, no panics, they stayed in their coconut all night. This morning they are sitting in the sun and eating breakfast.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I ended up waiting till midnight and opened them up since I couldn't smell anything. Thankfully no one set any off after about 10, but I think the big storm might of had something to do with that.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Yes, smoke or any other volatile organic compound is dangerous - may not show up immediately, but accumulation over a period of time takes a terrible toll on their respiratory system.

I wish that everyone on this forum would watch this video - then they would have a better understanding of the delicacy and complexity of their bird's respiratory system.

The Avian Respiratory System (Great Video) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I'm going to watch that myself in a few minutes :)