• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finding a mate for my Conure

stephanie69wvu

Strolling the yard
Real Name
stephanie
I have a female Nanday Conure and I would like to find a mate for her. I am not sure if it is best to get a male Nanday to match her or if it is ok to buy another type of conure. I know for sure I have a female because she has laid eggs before and again the other day. She seems like she would really like to have a mate to be with her and I would love to have another bird. I see so many other types of conures for sale but can't find one Nanday Conure male for sale anywhere. I want a younger bird so it can grow up with Sheila but I am not completely against another rescue bird. Since that is how I got Sheila and she is my little girl and I don't know what I would ever do without her. Can anyone give me some advice on this please. I want what is best for Sheila first and foremost!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are you just looking for a companion? Not to breed? Females can be buddies too. Like with people, there's no guaranty two birds will get along but another bird would be company for her. I don't know how far you are from Ohio (I see you're from W.VA) but @webchirp, who is in Ohio, has many foster conures and knows other conures available for adoption too. :)

Last edited:

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
If you want to find a friend for Sheila and NOT breed her a male Nanday is probably the last bird you want to get.

I think you'll have the greatest chance of success with a female Nanday or another (similarly sized) conure. I also think you should really go the route of fostering/adopting an older bird that's already matured into its adult personality because there is always a good chance things won't work out. In this case it would be best if you could have a trial period to see if the two birds are compatible.

We have a pretty diverse, mixed species flock and only 1 out of 5 new arrivals have actually wanted to be buddies with (and not outright attack) the other birds. For this reason I really never recommend people get a new bird "just to keep the old one company", especially if their first bird seems well-adjusted and happy. If you want another bird for yourself, and are prepared to house it separately, have separate playtimes for each bird, etc if they don't like each other then that's fine.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If you feel she is lonely and would benefit from a mate, then I can understand looking as long as you are okay with possibly having two cages and two birds if it doesn't work.

Are you up to driving and how far? For a good home, closer rescues have done home visits and then the adopters have driven to pick up the bird. Also I bet you will start seeing rehomes around Feb/march on areas like Craigslist.

I am so sorry for your loss.