• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Finch with a broken leg! Help! **Sad Update**

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
My friend left me in charge of her birds while she is away, and this morning I got a message saying that one of her finches, Tornado, has broken his leg. I have the bird at my house, near my finch cage, he is in a mouse cage half covered with a blanket. He has food and water, but just sits there and occasionally cheeps to my other finches.

His leg seems to be broken at the top, and he cannot land properly when he flies, which is why there are no perches in his cage.

I need to make it clear that I cannot take him to the vet, for different reasons. One of these includes money.

Is there anything I can do?

Or should I have him put down?

My friend wants me to do everything I can, but if there is nothing I can do, well.........

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
sometimes friends can only do so much (like you)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
About the only thing you can do is tape that leg up against his body, very tricky to do, he would need to be confined and taped for a month or so. It's your and your friends decision , wonder if you can You tube how to do it. Keep us updated,:hug8:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
About the only thing you can do is tape that leg up against his body, very tricky to do, he would need to be confined and taped for a month or so. It's your and your friends decision , wonder if you can You tube how to do it. Keep us updated,:hug8:
I agree :)

My grandma said that one time her mom's canary broke its leg, so she took a toothpick and taped it to the leg until it healed. Maybe this would help?

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Is it possible to at least get pain and inflammation relief for him, some metacam or celebrex?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You don't have any resources or any of the skills to do much for this bird. Putting the bird down would save it a lot of pain and suffering because you're not going to do anything for it. You want to be a breeder. Deal with the situation. (this is only the first of Many).

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You don't have any resources or any of the skills to do much for this bird. Putting the bird down would save it a lot of pain and suffering because you're not going to do anything for it. You want to be a breeder. Deal with the situation. (this is only the first of Many).
How does one ethically "put down a bird" without a vet?

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
I have just examined his leg, and found that the reason he was dragging his foot is because he has lost two of his toes, which I couldn't see before as he had his leg tucked under him.

There is a scab on his foot where the toes came off, two front ones, so that is why he was dragging it....???

Can birds with 2 toes still perch safely?
My friend will be sad to hear :sad1:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A bird with 2 toes can adapt. The question is why did he lose the toes? Were they like that when you got the bird? Is the area around the toes black?
You stated that taking him to the vet is not an option but it might be the best option. Perhaps you can work something out with the vet regarding payment.
Keep food and water dishes low. Put padding on the bottom of his cage. My sparrow, Spee, has two non functioning legs and only one foot that functions and he has adapted just fine although he has had this since he was very very young.

xgreenbudgiex

Walking the driveway
A bird with 2 toes can adapt. The question is why did he lose the toes? Were they like that when you got the bird? Is the area around the toes black?
You stated that taking him to the vet is not an option but it might be the best option. Perhaps you can work something out with the vet regarding payment.
Keep food and water dishes low. Put padding on the bottom of his cage. My sparrow, Spee, has two non functioning legs and only one foot that functions and he has adapted just fine although he has had this since he was very very young.
His toes were missing when I got him, except for one that was hanging on by a bit of hay, which doesn't really count.
I only noticed it had a toe on the end when I got him out, when I had him in the car I just thought it was a piece of hay stuck to his feathers.
The other toe is probably at the bottom of the aviary.
His foot has a red scab where the toes were, And apart from that I think he may have wrenched his leg in attempt to get away from whatever took his toes.

He is living with two budgies, one quite aggressive, one cockatiel who is fine with finches, one turquosine, one goldfinch, and 3 other zebra finches, one of which is his mate.
How could he have lost his toes? Could a cat have clawed them off somehow?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
His toes were missing when I got him
So much for being a friends bird right?

He almost certainly lost it at the hands of another bird. The most likely reason being not enough personal space which creates unhealthy competition. And they are not the same species which would never live together.

How would a cat get ahold of a bird in a secure aviary?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If it's your friends bird, can't your friend pay for the vet? I feel sorry for this bird, and think it should be looked after properly.:(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little guy. Keep him separated from the other birds. Contact your friend regarding this again and since he wants you to help the little one then your friend should foot the vet bill. You may want to consider getting some Vetericyn skin and wound care. I use the hydrogel version. There is also a Vetericyn plus antimicrobial hydrogel. However, he may need more than that. Keep him warm and make sure he is eating. If not you may have to feed him. If he recovers then he should not be re-caged with the budgies or 'tiels.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I hope all works out for you and the birds.
Sounds like a difficult situation.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She needs to keep the cat away from the aviary. That's just irresponsible.