• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

finch epidemic

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
hi all
there is a serious problem with our zebra finch community. over the last year they lots have been dying. there used to be 30(ish) and now we have just 10.

First they puff up, and i don't mean like they are a little chilly, I mean ULTRA puff-up powers activated. Each feather looks like they are popping out of the follicle they are so extended. they then lose their flight, only able to flutter a little bit before toppling to the ground. they become extremely lethargic and disconnected from their daily routine and lives (i'm able to get ridiculously close for an untamed aviary birb!). I notice they start to dwindle on the floor more and hop almost disconnectedly around by, what I've nick-named, the "death corner" (before my birds expire they tend to sit in that corner of the cage where a lot of fluffy feathers are lying).

the posses is really quick, like, 3 to 5 days before they pass on. I've taken one to the vet before, he was diagnosed with an "upper-tract infection" and died 2 days later. My very first finch I ever had is now showing the symptoms and i don't think i can lose any more to this case- its tearing me apart.
Dose anyone know what this is?
Has anyone experienced something like this, and what was the outcome/what did you do?

thanks so much for any help, my 'Zebras mean a lot to me.
LittleBird:roflmao:
(I'll attach photos when I'm less tired)

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Are these housed indoor or outdoors?

Have you used any sort of pesticides or new cleaning products?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am so sorry for your loss. I know (from personal experience) this is heart breaking.

First, how were they diagnosed? Have you had any testing done (fecal smear, crop swab is often done on finches) to check for parasites and/or yeast? have you had one of the dead ones necropsied to determine a cause, if one can be found?

If it is upper respiratory, what meds are they prescribing? Are you giving it to the others? Are they housed together?

And what protocols do you practice to treat for mites, air sac mites, worms, etc. --- do you have an ongoing program? If so when were they last treated for air sac mites? Have there been any changes you can think of that would have caused stress right at the beginning, like a new pet, new family member, moving cages, turning on the heat, starting a fireplace for the first time, etc. etc.

Sorry for all the questions but if you can answer them we maybe can help you.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
Are these housed indoor or outdoors?

Have you used any sort of pesticides or new cleaning products?
outdoor, no pesticides or new cleaning products

thanks so much for the research, I'll try persuade my parents to take me there (been going to the vet a lot recently: pet rat bitten, suddenly paralyzed budgies, dying finches...shees:o:)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry for your losses. Best to take one or two to the vet again and see what is going on. Did the vet that you took the one finch to prescribe any medication? Hope that the issue can be resolved and you don't lose any more.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I'm not sure where you are located, but if they're housed outdoors and the temp has changed, get a parent to help you safely set up a couple of heat lamps on one end and make sure that end has roof/side coverage.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
ULTRA puff-up powers activated
I don't mean to smile at a really sad situation, but with the way you put this, I just couldn't help it.

On a serious point, could possibly be Salmonella since you say its an outside aviary. Probably passed on by wild bird via droppings. Probably need to do a serious clean and disinfect of aviary.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don't mean to smile at a really sad situation, but with the way you put this, I just couldn't help it.

On a serious point, could possibly be Salmonella since you say its an outside aviary. Probably passed on by wild bird via droppings. Probably need to do a serious clean and disinfect of aviary.
Yes, or one of many other things. I posted a list of questions to help @LittleBird pinpoint the problem...but they are unanswered, even though the original post said
i don't think i can lose any more to this case- its tearing me apart.
And also
Dose anyone know what this is?
Has anyone experienced something like this, and what was the outcome/what did you do?
We are all trying to help, and some of us do have some suggestions. But the OP hasn't come back as is often the case.

Frustrating.

On the bright side, I now have turned my questions into a post on my website, where people can go and answer/ submit if they want help. I get requests like the above from all sides, so I can direct them there instead of endlessly typing! :roflmao:

@LittleBird I hope your finches are doing better!

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
I'm sorry that I haven't submitted the question. I did them last night when the electricity cut out (happens often here in Africa:shifty:) but I will be re-writing them again right after this post. Lost my Sims 4 progress as well. :sorrow::p

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
okay....

First, how were they diagnosed? Have you had any testing done (fecal smear, crop swab is often done on finches) to check for parasites and/or yeast? have you had one of the dead ones necropsied to determine a cause, if one can be found?
the vet listened to the breathing. I had wanted to do the fecal and crop swab but forgot to request it.

If it is upper respiratory, what meds are they prescribing? Are you giving it to the others? Are they housed together?
i don't recall what meds were given as i tossed them after the finch being treated passed on. Didn't give to the others (cant believe i didn't think of that!)

And what protocols do you practice to treat for mites, air sac mites, worms, etc. --- do you have an ongoing program? If so when were they last treated for air sac mites? Have there been any changes you can think of that would have caused stress right at the beginning, like a new pet, new family member, moving cages, turning on the heat, starting a fireplace for the first time, etc. etc.
we have never come across a problem with mites, air sac mite,worms, ect. this is our first finch issue (I've only had them for 2 years now). I looked at the website posted by WallyLoopey and we have had a sudden turning of the weather from a normal Africa heat wave to violent winds and rainfall.

Sorry for all the questions but if you can answer them we maybe can help you.
sorry for replying late

that's bout it, hope i didn't miss a question

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm sorry that I haven't submitted the question. I did them last night when the electricity cut out (happens often here in Africa:shifty:) but I will be re-writing them again right after this post. Lost my Sims 4 progress as well. :sorrow::p
It's ok! It wasn't a homework assignment :D we just want to help.

I'm sorry you lost your things! Computers. They can be a real pain.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
It's ok! It wasn't a homework assignment :D we just want to help.

I'm sorry you lost your things! Computers. They can be a real pain.
Naah, shouldn't spend my time playing games though, got better things to do!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am sure things differ in Africa from here in the US. I tried to look up finch keeping in SA but the information was too general to be much help.

If the weather just changed, I would guess that has triggered the respiratory infection; if your birds have air sac mites, which I am told (here) that every single bird does, this is also a trigger for them to rear their ugly little heads and cause problems. Here is a long and technical, but very correct article about them.

I'm going with what your vet said because, well, he's the expert. But the sound of respiratory distress due to infection and due to ASM sounds about the same. If you hold a sick bird up and listen, with ASM you hear a click when they breathe. But one with an infection may have some rattling in there too, see what I mean?

So back to an infection: they're just passing it around to each other. The entire aviary, feeders, drinkers need to be disinfected. I do this with a little bleach in a lot of water. You have to rinse VERY thoroughly. Usually I remove the dishes, clean/rinse, and let them dry in the sun while putting another set of clean ones in. That way any germs that exist will be gone next time I use them. Unfortunately the best way to do this is...keep doing it daily.

If possible, separate birds into groups of 'sick' and 'not looking sick' so that maybe the illness will stop.

That is all assuming the vet was correct in his diagnosis. Here are a few more questions that might help us know:
Are there any signs of distress around the nares? (Blood, swelling on the face above nare)

Is there seed in the droppings? Are droppings the same color they have always been?

What is their diet?

Also --- do they have shelter to get away from the wind, rain?

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
finch passed on. they have shelter on all but one side and do have a bit of shelter from rain. their diet is seed (yeah, i know, we do supplement with veg and mineral/cuttle bone blocks)

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
droppings seem normal. Nares are like the ceres, right? the nostrils? don't think so. found our baby grass finch and my beautiful turquoise show budgie passed on too, we cant find the male grass finch as well. this is a rather terrible day for our flock :sad1::sorrow:

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Are these different species all housed together?

I would move everything away from those zebra finches.

I would also provide them with a heat source in one corner and see if they all go to it. If theyre all crowding around it, they're too cold.

This sounds very fast moving. If everyone is affected, you may lose them all. :(

Whether all die or some survive..definately do not put anything new in this aviary or in the surrounding area.

Go ahead and sanitize as much as you can.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I read you use no pesticides but others near you may be doing so and the wind can carry the spray.