• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finch & Canary Compatibility

Cindermute

Moving in
Real Name
Alec
Hi! I recently bought Bimini, a yellow canary. When I was shopping for Bimini, I was tempted to buy the zebra finch next to her, but I remembered zebra finches need to be in pairs. My question is, do zebra finches need to be paired with a second zebra finch, or would Bimini make a fine companion?

Nhan_Dxo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nhan
If your cage is large (this is the important bit) then it's fine typically. They're both really docile birds by nature unless one gets really hormonal.

That said, I still wouldn't recommend it because canaries are fine being solo birds but finches in general should be kept in pairs of 2-4 of the same species since there are some birdie lingo and habits that zebras like to reciprocate to one another that a canary wouldn't know what to do.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Canaries dwarf zebra finches, so I’d be wary. There’s a compatibility chart chart for finches somewhere in the internet.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Not sure if you still need information but I have experience keeping them together. I am not sure how big your cage is but I have them in a 12x24 feet aviary with softbills too. But I can share a bit about their behavior with each other.

The canaries can be pretty territorial and protective of their food even in the aviary so that could pose an issue in a smaller cage if you only have one food bowl. Also the zebras are hyper birds that can annoy the canaries in smaller cages. As for if the canary is a good enough companion I’m not sure, but canaries are relatively solitary while I find that the zebras love cuddling with each other so I think it would be better for the zebra to have a zebra friend.
(Photo taken before the canary drove the gouldian away from the banana)
IMG_9571.jpeg
IMG_9573.jpeg

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Are canaries really so feisty? Beautiful pictures!

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Are canaries really so feisty? Beautiful pictures!
Thank you! Yes they are, even to each other (outside of breeding season). If someone invades their personal space they will turn into an orb and scream at them. Heres the continuation on what happened. Also some fun pics of some baby zebras I am currently hand-feeding! IMG_9574.jpeg IMG_9561.jpeg
Also have to mention that canaries usually eat a canary mix rather than a finch mix. I provide both, because of the larger area the seeds do not fatten the finches.

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh, my. Canaries are my someday bird. I thought they were cute & proper… :roflmao:

That’s one angry bird. I love the finches!!

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I had two male canaries in an aviary full of zebra finches and the two canaries always got along I think they were from the same parents but when I added a female canary all hell broke loose so I had to remove her from the aviary. My zebra finches can be very feisty toward one another but the canaries don't pay them any attention and do there own thing. I'm planning on putting about 4 male canaries in to another enclosure together at some point. I read that if you have 6 or more male canaries together then they become a flock but I'm not 100% on it.

I'm planning on getting some diamond doves to add to my aviary soon.