• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally made a breakthrough with step up training, what next?

baigfaez

Meeting neighbors
So some of you may remember from my previous posts that I've been having trouble teaching my IRN to step on my hand. I kept up with the target training, and yesterday he finally put one foot on my hand and later both feet and stood there for a while as I gave him food. Now I'm not sure what to do with his training to make him more comfortable getting on.

Yesterday I picked him up twice and both times I stayed next to his cage and fed him. I didn't want to take him far from his cage and make him associate it with being taken away somewhere scary. But I do want to start taking him farther and farther. So this morning I got him on my hand and walked a few feet to sit on my couch with him on my hand and I think that was too far for him because he jumped off and ran back to his cage.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
What you're doing now sounds fine. Just try to pay attention to when he's uncomfortable and not push too far past that point. He needs to associate this distance with good. Also, can you just let his cage out and let him explore on his own? Sorry, I don't recall your living situation, other pets etc. Letting him test his boundaries on his own terms is more ideal, if you have the right surroundings to do so.

baigfaez

Meeting neighbors
What you're doing now sounds fine. Just try to pay attention to when he's uncomfortable and not push too far past that point. He needs to associate this distance with good. Also, can you just let his cage out and let him explore on his own? Sorry, I don't recall your living situation, other pets etc. Letting him test his boundaries on his own terms is more ideal, if you have the right surroundings to do so.
He's almost always out of his cage actually (as long as I'm around to watch him), he likes to sit on top of his cage and that's where I interact with him. He's only ever hopped off to explore once before, but 99% of the time he likes his small area.