• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally Got Her to Try Fruits!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
In Kamara's previous home she was never given a variety of fruits and veggies regularly so she's been very stubborn about trying anything new. I finally got her to try some new things by baking some birdie bread for her, here's what I put in it:

Oat flour (ground from rolled oats in a food processor)
Millet (The only thing she'll accept as a treat)
Pureed banana (as a substitute for egg for binding the mixture into a dough)
Pomegranate seeds
Raspberries torn into small pieces
Pureed Sweet Potato

She seems to like it a lot! Next time I'll make some with mostly veggies

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yay Kamara! I fostered a lovie for awhile. He loved when I took mini peppers and hollowed them out and stuffed them with food- chopped up pepper, apples, seeds, etc. He thought it was very fun (and then would throw the pepper cup on the floor :rolleyes:) but Kamara might enjoy something like that where she can also forage.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Yay Kamara! I fostered a lovie for awhile. He loved when I took mini peppers and hollowed them out and stuffed them with food- chopped up pepper, apples, seeds, etc. He thought it was very fun (and then would throw the pepper cup on the floor :rolleyes:) but Kamara might enjoy something like that where she can also forage.
Next time I go to the store I'll look for some mini peppers and we can try it!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad Kamara tried the bread. Birdie bread is a great way to sneak in veggies!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Good girl, Kamara! :eating:

Amandas Birds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Amanda
@LilSproutWoo hoo!!! I feel your pain! It's hard to get them off of seeds when is all that they have eaten for so long change is hard on birds lol
I have been trying to get my tiel to eat veggies she has been verrrrry stubborn about it. On and off for two years i been trying. shes So stubborn as to dive bomb me till give her back the "right food":lol::banghead: BUT today after she realized I'd given her chop and seed mixed up she started to scream chirp at me and this went on for a while( half hour maybe less but not more) i said to her eat it your feathers will be so much shinier fruits and veggies are good for you she scream chirped some more but I just kept up with it will make your feathers bright and beak shiny...( think she is a vain bird because she started eating it not a bunch but some lol) so she ate at it for while then finally she gave me this look like.
Ok I've eaten some can i have a treat now lol it was cute as can be:dance4::hilarious::rofl:
Im gonna keep at it for next few weeks hopefully she will start eating the chop with out screaming at me. Feels like today was a turning pointhope your beauty keeps up the good work!!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I'm going to have to give this recipe a try! Sounds SO good (for humans too, haha!)
Thank you for sharing!