• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finally a happy Connor post

What trick should I teach Brainy Boy next?

• Limp

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bring Me Your Leash

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • You Should Be Ashamed!

• Turn Off The Light

• Shut The Door

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
All of Connor's tricks! He's an angel most days, although he has his moods. I taught him all of these myself, with only positive reinforcement and a clicker. I've also taught him to walk nicely on leash and have a reliable recall. All in just over 7 months! (Bit of Roxy in the backdrop, too)
He always does them better without a camera rolling :meh:

Last edited:

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
:bump8:
The downside to training him? His claws are sharp and he still needs support to "sit pretty" for more than a few seconds. My arms always look like I had a fistfight with a thorn bush after a training session. I've just gotten used to the pain, although my arms have earned a few funny looks. He doesn't make me bleed, but his claws peel away at the outer layer of my skin, and Lord help me if he steps on my foot. I need to trim his nails more.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Was it you who taught him all the tricks? If so, I have trouble understanding how you are still having toilet training issues with him. He certainly wants to have your praise and is very calm and patient, he seems like a great dog.
The things he does on command are really good and he does them very willingly, good work you two :)

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Yes, I am the only one who teaches him, and we aren't having toilet troubles anymore, except for the one time my sister let him roam before I was up to take him outside. She got lectured well on our routine and how it involves him toileting in the morning. Now he only needs to go out twice a day, though I usually take him out three times as a precaution.
I've found that the best way to teach him tricks is to work to his strengths and to not work on one thing too long. For instance, I usually teach two tricks during a training session, and repeat each about three times before switching to the other. If he's struggling or what I want him to do just isn't "clicking" I ask him to do a few repetitions of a trick easy for him to do, to let him have a reward and build his confidence up before resuming. He's really smart, he's used to doing one or two tricks without a reward, but if he thinks he's going too long without a treat, he will stop cooperating and insistently paw at my hand for his expected reward.

I can't STAND Caesar Milan. My dogs are never forced into a position with pressure, as I believe strongly in capturing the behavior, or using a gentle touch to remind them where to look, where a paw should be, et cetera. If Connor is getting distracted while I ask him to preform the trick, just a gentle brush of my finger on his whiskers snaps his focus back to me.

I have also taught Connor to tolerate grooming, he will keep his paw in my hand while I trim his nails, sit still while I go over him with the de-shedding brush, and allow me to Brush his teeth without much effort. Anyone can touch his paws, tail, and muzzle without him pulling away or reacting. All this work has been 99% my own, with little intervention from my parents. He truly is MY dog. It's my duty to feed him, train him, pick up his poop, brush him, and all. All my parents have to do is go out and purchase supplies, vet bills, and the like.

I do think I am preparing myself well for training a parrot.