• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Final decision!!!

Rockzten

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rockzten Starr Sloane
Hope I can get an answer here. Which is now my last stand. I got 5 parrots in total. Lately for about 8 months to a year, my shamrock is always very aggressive. It's a male. His about 5 years old. I could not touch another parrots or play with other parrots at all. I even tried releasing him out for 3 hrs and put him back and take another breed parrot out. But he seem to get jealous opening his wings and biting the metal or toys or even me till I bleed. Was thinking to 're home which will be my last choice.im getting bites almost 3 times a week. He just wants me and him. That's it!! No other parrots are to be involved. I could not even stroke another parrot at all!!! But since young he likes to chew on fingers. I gave him toys but he prefer human fingers. So when I cuddle him, he does is chew. It's a little pain but tolerable if you know how to twist around. If you know what I mean. Now its getting worst daily that he opens his wing like like cock is going to fight. Yeah!!! That's how he is now!! Get near him and he tears you off!! Advise please!!!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
He might think of you as his mate.
I am not sure how to help but I will
:bump4: this thread so hopefully others can give you some advice.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How old is he? Is it possible that he has chosen you as his mate and sees the other birds as a threat?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@aooratrix

It's that time of the year, and you can try to limit his daylight hours to 8-9 hours a day of bright light then cover the cage with darkest cloth you can find. If you can see light thru the cloth it's not dark enough.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
To him your his mate & he's frustrated & jealous & he is telling you by biting you.

If there were no birds then he'd do it if you had a friend or spouse around.

What kind of bird? RM has a good idea with the light to try to less the hormones.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
They said shamrock, so I think it's probably a shamrock macaw?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ohhh, thought that was his name///Not fluent in all the caws & never heard of a shamrock/

No fun having a caw gnaw on your fingers/

Rockzten

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rockzten Starr Sloane
Thank you all. I did try to limit his day light. I have dark double curtain to darken the room. But still didn't work. Even if it's time in the year. But it's going on straight coming 2 years actually now. Not 8 moinths. I lost track. Sounds like mongrel dogs. Think have to let him off.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
What kind of bird is it and what other birds do you have so members can try and help you with your problem?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Have you tried clicker training and target training? Perhaps those couple help. Are you able to seperate him from your other birds? (@Icey I think he is a shamrock macaw:laugh:)

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
A what?

Ahh I just googled it.
That is similar to a harlequin isn't it?

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I'm no macaw expert and I hope the wonderful macaw folks who have been tagged on here will post, but just as a general statement, it sure sounds like you need to make some big changes to how you interact with your shamrock macaw (what's his/her name, btw -- would be easier to talk about with a name)?

For example, some things to give some thought to -- it sounds like one precursor to the bites is: you interacting with your other birds -- when you interact with another bird, your shamrock appears agitated, biting his cage, etc. Ok. Limit or eliminate that in some way. Lots of ways you could do that: maybe your shamrock needs his own bird room, so move his cage to a new room. Or if that isn't possible for whatever reasons, change his cage location in the room he's in now -- disrupt some of his routines to break this pattern of biting. Other ideas -- If you are getting ready to interact with another bird, maybe prevent him from seeing it in another way -- cover his cage or screen the side of his cage so he can't see you interacting with the other birds. Or give him a super interesting toy to chew or forage so he has a distraction when you must tend to your other birds. Just brainstorming so you get the idea that there are different things you can do to get in a better routine with your shamrock.

Stop handling him in ways that allow you to get bitten. Train him to use a handheld t-perch (there are types with handguards, too) when you need to move him. Only let him step up on a perch -- stop offering yourself as a chew toy.

Offer him treats for good behavior using a long-handled ladle. Management magic! I've worked with some big macaws in training situations a little bit -- stay out of range! You can train targeting and several other behaviors like waving or vocalizations on cue or turning around on a perch -- lots of things you can do to give this bird an enriched existence without ever getting in range of that big beak!

It sounds like he's getting a lot of practice in biting you -- stop letting him practice that behavior so much. Change his routines so he doesn't get exposed to the biting triggers -- that is, avoid the situations that lead to biting.

You can change this!