• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fighting female canaries

Moldybread

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marie
I have two female canaries in a large flight cage. I've had them about a 9 months. One's a Glouster, one's a Fife and they're about the same size. The Glouster has laid 3 clutches this spring. A couple of months ago the Glouster seemed to be harassing the Fife so I separated them. After about a week or so I put them together and things were ok for a while. Today she's at it again and pulled feathers from the Fife. So I separated them again. While separated they hang out in the part of their cages closest to each other.
I don't really understand this behavior: Why? How long will this go on? When will the Glouster stop brooding? I was told to let her have a full clutch of about 4-5 eggs and then pull them. I've done this 3 times already this year and was hoping she was done. She seems to be getting ready to lay again. And why would one be laying eggs and not the other? I have not had them sexed but I know the eggs are not fertile. And neither bird sings.
They're on a good diet and get calcium supplements when egg laying. I just prefer them to live in one large cage.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

paulinepar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
paulinepar
I as well have 2 canaries in one big cage and it always seems like one of them is the bully and pulling on the others feathers. I'm not sure why this is either. One of them had 3 babies this year the other has not had any chicks. I know for sure they are both female. If you find out why plz let me know

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
They seem to be independent spirits. My male hangs out with the budgies. In fact, he moved in with them. His cage door is always open (I've finally given up leaving food and water in there), but he prefers the big flight cage with the budgies, even at night. So far, every one gets along...as unorthodox as the arrangement is.