• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fid vs Soda Can - a visual aid in size of all species

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Fid name: Java
Species: Greater Vasa
Sex: Male
Weight: 430 grams
Import or hand fed: Hand-fed
Personality/vocabulary or what makes your fid special: sweet-natured and rather passive. Has been a breeder his entire life until 6 months ago. He's learning what it means to have a family. Also, he's missing his left leg from a racoon attack in his past. He does not talk.

View attachment 282936
View attachment 282937
This is as close as I could get the can to him without him getting nervous.

Wow he is bigger than I realized. And very handsome.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Whew! Looking through this thread reminds me how big 'tiels actually are! Bigger than a Quaker and only a bit smaller than a Sun Conure!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
When sizing treats, if they don't show Sun conures, cockatiel treats are closest; when the package doesn't show a pionus, grey treats are on the large size, so get mixed about 50-50 with cockatiel treats.

It amazes me! Daytona, SdC, is technically in the same class as Sherman, WCP! Daytona is mostly feathers whereas Sherman is not. We're talking 104 grams to 206 grams and Sherman is on a diet! Daytona's beak is about half as big as Sherman's beak. (Of course, Daytona is about a million times as loud. :) )

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
great comparison difference between a TAG and a CAG.
Luna is on the Left (TAG) and Echo is on the right(CAG)
No fair. ;) Echo's cheating holding out his wings. :laugh:

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
Here's my two! Sorry for the blurriness :rolleyes:

20190128_204934.jpg
20190128_205137.jpg
20190128_205103.jpg

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Why is it that the gcc has a guilty look about him and the sun has the "it's mine" look?

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
ADE225F7-8125-41A3-BD7A-A4F943D2AB7C.jpeg
Name: Tibs
Species: Jenday Conure
Sex: Male
Weight: 113 grams
Import or hand fed: Hand fed
Personality: Enthusiastic, and a chow-hound. Tibs is playful and curious about the world, he likes to explore and loves to be with people. He is the definition of a people-bird and can be a velcro bird. As you can see from the picture, everything and anything new can be a toy and was obviously meant for him to have. He has his cuddly moments, and he does enjoy scritches but his life is all about play (and food).
Vocabulary: His vocabulary of clear words is limited (What, hey, wah) but he laughs and makes kiss-y sounds.

Last edited:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
This is the closest that Tootie would get to the can, and it is a tiny bit taller and skinnier than a pop can. If there's pop in the house, I drink my weight in it..:lol:

Name: Tootie
Species: Nanday Conure
Weight: 125 Grams
Import or Hand Fed: Assuming handfed?
Personality: So far, very cautious. He's been here almost 3 weeks, so that's to be expected. I believe that he is logical enough to know that if we haven't killed him yet, we probably won't, but his emotions get the better of him, and he keeps his distance most of the time. He gives painless angry nips if you reach for him and he's trapped, but if he can get away, he'd rather do that. He does not like when Tikki flies around and he cannot, and he insists on being with Tikki when out of his cage. So far, the only sign that anyone has ever spent any time at all loving or training him is the fact that if you tell him that it's bedtime, he'll go back into his cage on his own. He's independent, stoic, and exactly what we hoped for in a rescue bird. He loves to yell, and it sounds like some angry man trying to get someone's attention. We like to join in and yell with him sometimes. He's the best little Tootie in the whole world! :heart: 67270701_2425853584295365_2337014116616503296_n.jpg

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Tootie is so cute! I’ve been hoping to see a Nanday size comparison for my own curiosity.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
He's bigger than I thought he would be @BeanieofJustice , I'd guess bigger than a Sun, but smaller than a Blue Crowned.
Oh, interesting! Thank you! They’re just gorgeous birds. From their appearance in pictures, I’d thought that their body size was similar to the Golden Conure I met but I saw an image recently and Nandays looked smaller than that.

paco's human

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
DeeDee
I cant believe this thread has been going for almost 9 years!! That makes me so happy!!
If you are curious, I dont have as much time to be on avianavenue ☹ but Paco is still the love of my life and the bane of his human brother's existence.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
20200302_064321.jpg 20200302_064315.jpg

Name: Blizzard
Species: English Budgie
Sex: Female
Weight: 45g - 55g
Hand fed

Edit: I couldn't get Kiwi anywhere near the can :rolleyes:

Last edited: