• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

feral cats--very sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
My husband and I feed these feral cats by the 24 hour laundromat..we first noticed a mother cat and three little kittens over four years ago..we started feeding them twice a week when we went to do laundry...the mother cat disappeared somewhere leaving the three kittens...they were wild..we called animal control..no one seemed interested in them..there were two black ones and an orange one..over time we didnt see the orange one anymore..I did notice that a few people in that area (industrial) were also feeding them...We didnt see one of the black cats for ages recently and thought oh boy, she must be gone or dead...then this morning we saw her in the usual spot..with two little fluff ball kittens no more than abut a month old..wild as all get out and we put the food down and they all came over and ate...We watched them from afar and I shed a few tears for them.

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
It's so good of you to be feeding them Anne. You are a very caring person.:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anne is one with a great heart..isnt there any programs there for feral colonies?Soem places here we have spay and neuter programs..catch and release..I hate to see them searching for food..

brianimal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
briana
Anne is one with a great heart..isnt there any programs there for feral colonies?Soem places here we have spay and neuter programs..catch and release..I hate to see them searching for food..
I was about to say the same, some place just spay/neuter them then release them, which is a nice compromise because cats are VERY well adapt for living on their own but when they have kittens it just starts a vicious cycle :eek:

:hug8:But im glad you are looking out for them and feeding them, i have a place in my heart for little strays, lucky was a stray we found in the woods, we think someone just dumped her on the side of the road :(

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anne if you can contact a rescue in your area, they can set live traps. They take the in, spay and neuter, then release back into the wild. This is the way to go. It helps with the population but also solves the problem of not being able to rehome a feral cat. Which is basically impossible.
You have a dear heart for providing for these forgotten animals. We have hadgreat sccess with this program in our area. We have also rehomed newly spayed and neutered to farms and stables in the area.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
we did that already...no one seems to care ...well there are people around the area who feed them as well....I just felt so sad t his morning...instead of oohing and ahing at t he ltitle kittens I stood there and cried..I looked over at Dub and he had tears in his eyes..very sad

Status
Not open for further replies.