• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female Umbrella Cockatoo needs a home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Hello.

Figured it was about time I made a post about my current foster. I knew from the get go I wouldn't be able to offer her a permanent or long stay, but she was in a bad situation that only promised to get worse.

I don't have much history on her, I'm afraid. I don't know her age, but the estimate I was given is 20-25.

Her next home can't have dogs. There were a lot of dogs in the last place and they scared her. She gets very anxious when she hears barking. I don't know how she'd act around small children, but I'd assumed they are a likely no-go as well.

She prefers women over men and is aggressive/fearful towards other birds. She panics when mine fly and I have no doubt she would injure them if given the chance.

She took to a harness very easily and really enjoys walks, car rides, and visits to the beach. I took her to look at tide pools and she was completely entranced. I think she would enjoy being able to go outside or visit the park a lot more.

She doesn't fly. I have been working with her to exercise her wings by gently tossing her towards a beanbag chair, but I am doubtful she has ever flown or if she will ever be able to do more than a controlled fall.

She barbers her feathers, snipping off small pieces to chew on and roll around in her beak. She wasn't at all familiar with toys at first, but I have since managed to get her to tear up paper and cardboard, and she's recently graduated to trying to chip wood. I believe with more work she'll eventually be able to focus more of her energy on destroying toys rather than her own feathers. For the time being, she doesn't seem to mind wearing a fleece poncho.

I am willing to figure out shipping.

Rehoming fee, $550.
If you're near the Puget Sound area in Washington, we can discuss if you also want her Silverado macaw cage.

Please feel free to respond here or PM me with any questions.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you so much for helping this girl. :heart: It is clear she has come a long way in your care. You obviously care a lot about her. I know you will find just the right home for her. :heart2:

Status
Not open for further replies.