• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Female Parakeet Laying Egsgs

Reyna

Moving in
So I've owned two parakeets for about three years, a male named Ronnie and a female named Reina. They have a love-hate relationship, in that one minute, they'll cuddle, the next they'll fight.

Well, last night, Reina started crying out and she was on the bottom of the cage floor. Within a few moments, she laid an egg. But none of us ever thought she would lay eggs, as the past two years...nothing.

This is her first time, and her tail is bobbing. But she seems normal otherwise...

I'm silently panicking, because I don't know what to do...any help would be welcome.

And I have no idea what to give her for calcium, since I know she probably needs some...

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Give her cuttlebone, bioled, dried, crushed egg shells, or a liquid calcium that goes in the water
20180123_104056.jpg
I get this from Sprouts , my vet OK,'d it..for her size I would put half a teaspoon in 1 cup water..do this every day. Her tail bobbing is normal after laying, she should recover in a few hours to almost a whole day..the next egg, if any, will appear in 48 hours or so from the first. Hope she's ok.

Reyna

Moving in
Give her cuttlebone, bioled, dried, crushed egg shells, or a liquid calcium that goes in the water
View attachment 266447
I get this from Sprouts , my vet OK,'d it..for her size I would put half a teaspoon in 1 cup water..do this every day. Her tail bobbing is normal after laying, she should recover in a few hours to almost a whole day..the next egg, if any, will appear in 48 hours or so from the first. Hope she's ok.
I hope so too. None of us were expecting this, so...we're flying blind (pardon the pun).

For the crushed eggshell...would chicken eggs from the supermarket work? And if so, how do you do that?

I'm currently not at home (I want to be, but...well, college classes exist -.-), so I don't know how she is at the moment.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is another calcium supplement. I use this when my birds were going through egg laying cycle and my BFA gets this as a supplement as per vet's recommendation. Provide a cuttlebone that she can use on her own and/ or scrape a bit of that off for her.

Calcium Powder I just sprinkle a bit on the food.

Egg laying can be stressful and tiring. Make sure she is getting a lot of good nutrition.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Reyna ..chicken egg shells are fine, Biol them for ten to fifteen minutes, let them dry, peel the membrane out, then put them in the blender or ninja,,sprinkle on her food. Or serve separate.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Watch her closely, she will probably lay more, but it's normal for them to lay eggs every other day. If she doesn't have any sort of nest, you might want to just place a bowl or small, open box on the bottom of the cage where she laid the egg (moving the egg to a regular enclosed nestbox is probably too big a change at this point and she wouldn't take to it). Even if the egg's not fertile or you replace the eggs with fakes, it's a good idea to let her incubate them comfortably.

Cuttlebone is a good way to provide calcium, baked eggshells are ok as well. Be careful of human calcium supplements, some are fine, but many have zinc added which isn't good for birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What is her diet like now? Does she fly? (Fitness)

Reyna

Moving in
What is her diet like now? Does she fly? (Fitness)
She's just eaten nuts and seeds...but she does fly a lot. Sometimes my problem is stopping her from flying.

She hasn't laid another egg, but her tail is bobbing still...

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Another good way of getting calcium is oyster shell. I use it in my chickens food every day because they lay an egg every 30 hours which depletes calcium like crazy for them. You can grind the oyster shells in a mortar and sprinkle. Spinach has a lot of calcium but don't forget that some foods are made for laying and some for molting and others for just normal healthy birds.

I give my chickens laying crumble. It has extra vitamins for them to lay every day. I imagine there must be protein rich, calcium rich foods for pregnant or laying parrots?