• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Female Eclectus plucking/bald spot on chest???

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
Guys I am VERY worried.

Emma was going through what I THOUGHT was a pretty heavy 'molt'... her feathers around her collar, her sides and around her neck and etc were looking a little dark and ruffled and thin in places, but nothing I was too extremely concerned with.. and then this morning we noticed that she has a pretty significant almost completely bald (or BALDING spot, on her chest, not huge but definitely big enough to cause concern... and I am very very worried.

Some answers to some questions I know are coming:

There are no significant or excess feathers ANYWHERE I can see on her cage, stand, floor or etc. Nothing more than usual.

We have not changed her diet, schedule, social life, stress level or anything else.

She is otherwise acting totally normal, not screeching or calling, eating and drinking as usual, and not exhibiting any other unusual or different behavior.

I can try and provide pictures as reference, please help me - I am not a super experienced bird parent, but I love my girl very very much and will do whatever I need to to ensure her health. I would have taken her in already, but wanted to give it 24 hours (and get some opinions from you guys), before I make the call.

Thank you in advance. 20180415_110713.jpg 20180415_110717.jpg 20180415_110727.jpg

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, your bird is feather chewing.

You need to make an appointment with your avian vet for a checkup. They will do a cbc, chem panel, fecal gram stain and if nothing is seen maybe xray's. They may also go over your diet with a fine tooth comb as ekkies have a very complicated diet.

Have you changed anything? Food or environment? Give your vet anything that could help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, a vet check. Also, my understanding is ekkies diets are rather complicated too. I hope she's okay.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I hope that your vet can determine what is causing her to pluck. Many times it is a sign of displaced pain or pain from a health condition. Be sure you get xrays so your vet can see what's going on inside. Also a CBC and Chem Panel and choanal and cloacal swabs are called for. This will be expensive, but the sooner you can find a cause the sooner you can stop this plucking in it's tracks.

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
I called my vet today, and three others locally just to inquire about timing, I sent them all the pictures that I posted here - and every single one told me that my situation didn' qualify as an "emergency", so the best I could do was get in there on the 27th.

I have it booked and am watching VERY closely for any signs of getting worse, weird behavior or lack of eating (which there isn't any as of now), but will of course rush her in the 24 hour emergency vet in the city if I need to.

I am so worried about my girl, she is acting completely normal and cuddly as ever, if it weren't for the lack of feathers I would never even have known anything was wrong - I am just hoping with everything I have it is no big deal, OR she just stops by herself.

Money is no issue I will pay for all of the tests and blood work and whatever they want to do, I would rather be safe than sorry. Do you guys think that the feathers will grow back ever? Assuming that we do figure the problem out in the first place obviously.

Thank you guys for the input, very helpful as always.

B

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The feathers will grow back. It takes some pretty serious plucking over a long period for a bird to damage their feather folicles. There is no bleeding associating with her plucking - is there?

Barnaby Rose

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barnaby
The feathers will grow back. It takes some pretty serious plucking over a long period for a bird to damage their feather folicles. There is no bleeding associating with her plucking - is there?
No there is no bleeding, no signs of intense plucking either, just literally that bald spot.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
could be a Mojo moult.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Vet visit with no doubt, you may be given a collar to heed her plucking.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
There was a male Eclectus parrot who suffered a moult that was so extreme he was bald in places.

Vet's couldn't understand why it was happening. The male Eclectus parrot's name was Mojo.

I understand that both males and females can suffer this. But it effects the males more then the females.

Don't know why.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Lots of extra TLC for Emma.
Hope the vet can help her.