• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Female Cockatiel Injured Wing + Labored Breathing

Auradani

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Daniella
My female cockatiel began having labored breathing this morning/afternoon. She is ten years old. The hard breathing has persisted and she has become slightly irritable. She has also begun moving her wing around as though she cannot find a comfortable position for it and is holding it up as well.

We have been trying to call for help around us but veterinary hospitals are either closed or do not have a doctor knowledgable about birds. I need advice about what to do? There are no other veterinary hospitals around for hours. Should I put her through the stress of a long car drive stuck inside her cage or should I wait the two days until she can be seen by our veterinarian.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Keep a close eye on her and get to a vet as soon as reasonably feasible.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can we see a video of the breathing?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Could be in pain & injured a wing or even a rib...

She should see a vet asap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Keep her under a nice warm lamp and rise the humidity of her cage. Another thing you can do is to mix eletrolytes in her water. As a few of our friends suggested she may be egg bound feel around the vent if it's swollen or round then you can be sure she's egg bound. If this is the case you can add oil there and comfort her. If you really can't find a vet you can try getting it out of her by slowly moving the egg you can find videos online but this is extreamly risky if you. Break the egg she dies.
I hope she gets well soon