• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female budgie standing with legs outstretched?

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I just got back from a weekend trip where my husband took care of my babies. Ever since I got back, my little girl has been standing funny. Like her legs are stretched out straight, so her body is not touching the perch. She and my male budgie both usually sit where their fluff is partially covering their feet, unless they are walking or alert.

I'm not sure if it is something I should be concerned about? She has been sick for a couple months (respiratory issues), so I don't know if I"m just being oversensitive.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This condition is called splay leg. At least I think so from reading your post. I would help us if you can post some photos of the bird.
Caring for a Bird With Splayed Legs

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How old is she?

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
This condition is called splay leg. At least I think so from reading your post. I would help us if you can post some photos of the bird.
Is that something that could happen suddenly? I will try to get some pics.

How old is she?
She's 4, I've had her since she was a baby, and she has been bonded with my male budgie since I had them (they're the same age)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Splay legs would appear on a baby...likely its something else in a 4 year old...

If she has not been herself in a month there is likely something wrong...

May need to get advice from a vet but still not sure what you mean by legs out straight & body not touching the perch.
If legs were out straight I would think her bum would be on the perch...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Has she seen a vet? Respiratory issues are critical and time is important.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
This might be a stupid question but..since Kiwi is only 1 year old I have no experience because all of my birds have been male. Is it possible it has anything to due with her needing to expel an egg?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good Idea
Possible egg straining...would also be heavy breathing but not a month...

Look at her bum...if egg bound that very dangerous & would need a vet if she can't pass it.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I think a vet visit is in order

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks everyone! I took her to the vet in early April, and they had me putting Baytril in her water for a couple weeks. It seemed to help for a short time but it didn't go away. I asked if I should take her back in and they said no, just come get more Baytril. So I did that but she was still not getting better so I took her to a different vet. The second vet did a nasal rinse, put her under anesthesia so she could check the throat and make sure nothing was stuck, and then gave me an oral antibiotic and nasal drops.

I thought about the egg binding but I just felt her abdomen and that does not seem to be the case.

Today I went to "kiss" her (my kisses are tip of my nose to her beak so there is no possible saliva contact) and she smells different. Kind of sour like yogurt. So now I'm concerned about crop infection, which the vet had previously ruled out.

That is in addition to the standing tall thing. Like, instead of a relaxed perch position where feathers touch the perch, she is standing tall on her legs.

I took her to a different room from her mate and let her sit on my knee for a while. Her stings are normal, but she was breathing with mouth open and some sort of white flakes came out of her mouth onto my leg?

Right now I have her in the bathroom with me and shower running to get some humidity to help her breathing. We'll see if it helps. Poor baby.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not sure what the white flakes could be & the sour could be some infection in the lungs you are smelling not the crop.

Mouth open breathing needs to be checked out

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not splayed legs for sure. Did the vet check the washing for yeast?